Author Topic: Disagreement over bacon  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Disagreement over bacon
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »
My cousin was told by a "meat processer" that you dont get bacon out of a wild hog.Keep in mind he hired this guy to butcher his hog.All he got back was chops,hind quarters,and shoulders. No ribs,no nothing else. I think he was had,,and this guy has meat in HIS freezer. The guy says wild ribs are not edible...Yall help me to convince my goofy cousin that this guy should be avoided.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Disagreement over bacon
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
Wild hog doesn't have "bacon" per se because their abs are like washboards.  No fat to fill them out.

Still a lot of waste from that pig.

I doubt the processor kept meat for himself.  More likely he just threw it away as waste.

Was your cousin specific on what cuts he wanted?  I smell an honest, if ignorant, mistake
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »
all I know is the wild pig I've killed all had great baby back rib dinners in them, and you can get bacon, it's just a little leaner
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:32 pm »
all I know is the wild pig I've killed all had great baby back rib dinners in them, and you can get bacon, it's just a little leaner
+1
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:49:31 pm »
I take ribs from a sow, since wild hog ribs are long and skinny and saw them length wise down the center and make Baby Backs. And, when we went to the Alexacarri Plantation last summer, I took all of the Flank meat from the hogs and made bacon after using curing salts and smoking it. It was tough but it is great for seasoning Greens, peas, and beans.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Otis

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
The ribs James cooked at the Classic that Eddie brought this year were delicious. I don't know
about bacon on a wild hog, but Eddie's ribs were good.
                                                              David

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  Im huntin hogs this winter but ill be doing my own butchering!  I thought I was right!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 02:57:31 pm »
Chorizo, chorizo, chorizo...
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »

Change to a different butcher!  Bacon is pork belly.  Sow belly, etc.  Wild hogs have very little fat.  The ribs are excellent! As is the rest of the meat.  A meat processor, should do what you ask.  If he tells you something can't be done, maybe he isn't informed, or experienced enough.  At the very least the belly meat could be ground into sausage, like the neck meat on some wild hogs that is scarred and toughened by fighting.  Wild hogs, I only try to shoot the sows.  The boars are musky, and strong tasting.  If you can catch a young one, and pen it up, and clip it, and keep it pen fed till it is the size you want, they are ok.  But there is no reason to waste the belly meat, or any other meat on a hog, wild or domestic.  Even the skin, can be scraped, and sliced into inch and a half, or two inch sections, and deep fried, and seasoned with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, and Cayenne pepper, and maybe a little garlic seasoning, and onion powder, or whatever seasoning you prefer, but it makes for some mighty fine snacking with a nice cold beer.  ;)

Wayne

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
Quote from: Great Grampie Ellsworth
We ate everything when we had a pig.  Tongue, trotters, and eyeballs.  Everything but the squeal, and If we could have found a way to cook it, we'd have eaten that too!
PN501018

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:09 am »

There you go!  Pickled pig snout, pickled pigs feet, fried "whistles, and clangers.
 ;) :P
                                                               Wayne

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:29:00 am »
How do you eat the horn-trotters?
The bones? I mean you can put the bones in soup to flavor...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34:26 am »
Trotters are pigs feet.  you cook them until they fall apart, and suck the jelly out of the toes. Mmmm
PN501018

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:33 am »
Tell him to butcher his own next time ;)

My grandmother would pickle the pigs feet and we would open a jar at gatherings and it was delicious! Never heard trotters, learn something new everyday ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:03 pm »
Trotters are pigs feet.  you cook them until they fall apart, and suck the jelly out of the toes. Mmmm
Oh.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"