Author Topic: Yew leaves still growing?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Yew leaves still growing?
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:53:41 am »
ok so many of you saw my recent yew haul, i wen't into the shed today and noticed that scince i cut the wood the shoots of leaves i left on there are still growing! they are 1-2" longer than what they were before. so this got me thinking. is there any way to cut and plant theese to grow into new trees? also is this normal for yew after the wood is cut? thanks for any help
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Yew leaves still growing?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »
It can be done.  do you have any adults around that are big into gardening? they can point you in the right direction for products that wil make cuttings root.

It takes some trees a little while to figure out they're dead.  Their hearts beat a lot slower than ours.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »
It might be possible but you should look up the proper procedure for propagating yew. Some conifers or other needled evergreens root better with winter cuttings. Seeds are another option.
  There is still enough moisture flowing through the staves for the needles to keep growing. This will be only for a limited time though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »
I've had mulberry do that to me a bunch of times, mulberry is real bad at that. On the flip side I have planted a lot of mulberry cuttings to grow my hedge out. I just snip a good sized branch off and stick it in the ground, a year later it's a little tree (stuff grows fast,  >:D). I also planted a lot of wild roses for my wife I find when stave hunting in the woods. I just cut the things off and throw them in my backpack. 6 hours later I shove them in the ground, and off they go. Those things are pretty tough too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:59:45 pm »
thanks, everyone. i looked it up and it seems pretty simple. the thing is ive heard yew is a slow growing tree yet theese shoots are growing like an inch a day? im going to try and plant them. thanks everyone.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 01:03:01 pm »
thanks, everyone. i looked it up and it seems pretty simple. the thing is ive heard yew is a slow growing tree yet theese shoots are growing like an inch a day? im going to try and plant them. thanks everyone.
See how much the wood grows...
I think you can take cuttings, dip them in rooting hormone/fertilizer mix, then plant them. I know it can be done with roses. I dunno about trees.
Make a bow from it, with the leaves still growing! That would be magical!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

The next growing season they get moved to soil for a year. Then planted in a cool shady/moist area.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
I think replanting them is the responsible thing to do anyway. since they often take several lifetimes before they are grown
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »
Now that looks like a riot Bryce  :laugh:  ;D .....good for yew brycey boy  ;)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »
I think replanting them is the responsible thing to do anyway. since they often take several lifetimes before they are grown
+1
Plant them near where you cut them. That way there will always be yew.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »
I plant them on private land where yew used to be but where destroyed by logging.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 02:56:01 pm »
Good idea but they will take a long long time to get big All of us will be dead by time tht trees decent enough To get staves out of I'm sure
I like osage

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »
Good idea but they will take a long long time to get big All of us will be dead by time tht trees decent enough To get staves out of I'm sure

Bryce knows that.  He is just a righteous dude! 8)

I tried that but without any treatment.  Simply sticking them in the dirt around the house did not work.  They looked alive for a month or two, but then turned south.  I will be using Bryce's method next time.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
Wow. Thanks bryce! Is that what it looks like after a yer in the last picture? I planted some today in some pots like yew did. Will see how it turns out.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 10:03:53 pm »
The one in the planter has been in there for 5 years.
Clatskanie, Oregon