Author Topic: Boo on Boo Info? Help! :)  (Read 1308 times)

Offline joebuck

Boo on Boo Info? Help! :)
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
Hello everyone! i am new on here and glad to be here. Been making my own personal bows over on the dark side for 20 years and wood bow fever has crunched me.  Ordered a James Parker bow Kit from Mike Y. and cant wait to get it and finish it. In the meantime i have seasoned Boo i have harvested and want to make my All Boo bow with persimmon handle. Probably a 5 lam all Boo.. I think i have Moso on my property.........cut to the chase...............can anyone direct me to nay forums or PA articles i can learn how to temper, glue up , tiller etc. and ALL Bamboo bow like a Schultz or Parker?  i live in rural Mississippi and dont know a single person that makes their own wood bows......thanks so much for any help or advice.  joey buchanan  oxford ms

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Boo on Boo Info? Help! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:19 pm »
Welcome, Joe, from another Ms boy down around Jackson way. I'm not really up on the all boo bows, but just wanted to say hi. In my 2nd year of the bow building hobby and 20+ yrs in trad archery. You picked the right place for advice. I'll let some of the guys with more experience chime in.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:41 am »
Dragonman is your all boo man.  At least that is the only member I have seen post a boo backed boo bow on here. I pm'd him, so hopefully he finds this thread. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:26 am »
hi joebuck.....got a message from carson to reply here....yes, I'm always happy to help out here on the forum if I can....I am in no way an expert on the bamboo bow....I have made 5 or 6 successful ones to date...(and 3 or 4 before  that, that wherent so good),   have made many more boo backed bows.   
James knows a lot more than me....but I can give you dimensions for the boo and core and help heat treating the belly boo....to make a fast  and beautiful bow if you like.   If this is your first time using bamboo however , I would suggest making a boo backed bow first and then a 3 lam bow, befor attemtng a 5 lam, just to get used to planning bamboo.( 3 lams is all that is necessary in my opinion )  I guess it depends on your skills you have already...? but these bows are tricky and time consuming....they are awesome bows but everything must be just right .

just PM or email me... ask me whatever you want, if I know I'll share the info ,if I dont know I'll be honest and say

Dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline joebuck

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:36 am »
PM sent Dragon...thanks guys!