Author Topic: sinew ?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline bushboy

sinew ?
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »
Down the road I would like to give a sinewed back osage a go.say 55"ttt ,1-1/4@ fades,parralell to the last 10",then to 3/8"@ the tips ,50/60# range. Recurve bendy.I got this piece of mature cow elk back strap and was wondering how far this would take me?also how many layers should I apply?thx's!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: sinew ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »
Maybe 1
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
That piece and 4 or 5 more will get you there.  ;)  I usually go 2 to 3 layers, depending on how thick I apply each layer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:34:32 pm »
I would sure go with tendon sinews to back the bow, backstrap sinew is good for bow strings and sewing.

Eirc

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:43 pm »
I'm no expert either and have only backed 1 bow with sinew. I used back sinew and haven't had a problem but that could be because it was used more as a backing to hold down some splinters and not used on a highly stressed bow. I would think if it were applied properly that back sinew should work in most instances. Am I wrong?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
No Fred you are right it will work just fine but tendon sinew breaks down much better and contains many more fibers per piece and I think it lays on the bow better than backstrap sinew. All my early sinew backed bows were backstrap sinew because it was easier to prepare, once I tried elk tendon I have never looked back. It is much more labor intensive but worth the effort.