Author Topic: hophornbeam  (Read 7627 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: hophornbeam
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:43 am »
other local choices: black locust, buckthorn, elm, white oak
45# at 27"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:51 am »
Bloodhound...You could meet me at the IBA[Iowa Bowhunters Association][Google it to find out about it] fall festival[August 2,3,&4] and I could have an ironwood stave maybe an osage stave too there for ya if you want.Let me know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
Hackberry for one. It's every where.

I was not familiar with that but once I searched recognized it right away, I have some in my woods and will have to go drop one.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »
Hackberry is awesome bow wood
I like osage

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:53:35 pm »
Bloodhound...You could meet me at the IBA[Iowa Bowhunters Association][Google it to find out about it] fall festival[August 2,3,&4] and I could have an ironwood stave maybe an osage stave too there for ya if you want.Let me know.

Wow that is really generous of you. I think I should be able to make it out there, its not that far from Cedar Rapids. I think my wife and I are even be members of IBA (although may have let it lapse I would have to check). I will have to check with her and I get back to you.
If I can make it out and you have any need for hickory let me know, I have access to a bunch of it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:55 am »
I usually go there on a saturday and just stay for the day.I'm ok for hickory around here.Come the last week in July email me if your going.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Saxton

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:11 pm »
I'm in upstate NY but i seem to find it on the edge of fields and on the top of ridges the most .

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 08:30:29 am »
I'd make sure I'd take up eds offer ;)

Once you do find one tho your likely to find several to a bunch more growing close to the one you first find...and here in the wooded hills of pa it grows anywhere in the understory from the bottoms to the tops of our hills and anywhere in between....but good luck finding a straight hhb tree..I bet I pass up a hundred trees before finding one to cut..n maybe more than that...no exxageration

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 10:09:37 am »
Yep, me too Chris. I can find them straight enough, but they're usually badly twisted. I'm fresh out of hophornbeam right now and I will be resuming the search soon.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 10:32:23 am »
In my experience they seem to grow in clumps. You won't find any for a good long time, then you'll find one area with a dozen within an arrows flight.

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:43 am »
I will be saearching this week at the cabin near birchwood WI where we have a bunch of timber. If nothing else i will grab a maple and ash.

My dad had a few poplars and a basswood dropped this week. I know poplar is useless, what about the basswood?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 12:15:04 pm »
Poplar can make arrows(or a super wide or long bow), I assume basswood can also.
Birch is a good bow-wood too.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »
Yea i have been looking for the right birch to cut. There are a couple i have my eye on.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »
Bloodhound...If you can find some really nice straight grained no knots hard maple of maybe 5 or 6' long I'd trade with ya.Just split it seal the ends and I'll do the rest.Yellow birch I would take too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »
Bloodhound...If you can find some really nice straight grained no knots hard maple of maybe 5 or 6' long I'd trade with ya.Just split it seal the ends and I'll do the rest.Yellow birch I would take too.

I should be able to do that. We have 20 acres that is about half maple, that grew up after it was clear cut, most is real straight. Knot free can take some looking but I always find a few.

I have some paper birch, not sure about yellow though, I will take a look.