Author Topic: hophornbeam  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Bloodhound

hophornbeam
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:13:27 am »
This tree is supposed to be native to Iowa MN and WI but despite extensive time in the woods this spring looking for one I have yet to make a positive ID. Any tips on where to look and how to identify?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: hophornbeam
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:21:05 am »
http://ohiodnr.com/forestry/trees/hophorn_am/tabid/5377/Default.aspx
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?id=62
These have worked for every tree I have ever tried to look for. I have ID'd nearly every tree in my slinging spot positively.
I origionally cut some elm thinking it was HHB. Never did find anything but boxelder and bradford pear at my slinging spot.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:31 am »
OK.Every year at the Izaac Walton league in Ames Iowa they have a spring rendezvous for the traditiomnal bow hunters of Iowa.On their 3d course it is growing all around there.At the Iowa Bow Hunters Association 3d shoot at Eldora,Iowa in August it is growing all around that course too.There is some around south of DesMoines too.A person would have to get permission to cut it.A friend of mine has it on his land.I've got staves from there in the shed.It does grow in Iowa.Most times it is not thicker than 8" or so.Thin flaky,scaly bark on it.Inside wood is pearly white.If I had it growing on my land I would let you cut some.I would think you should have it around you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:46 am »
Good site squirrel, I may have occasion to use that
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:17 am »
To me HHB looks like elm leaves on cedar bark.  There isn't a single HHB tree on my property.  But 5 miles away a friends property is loaded with them.  Its funny how hit or miss tree ranges are.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:06:00 am »
Its hard to tell you where to look because I've found it in low wet areas and on high and dry side hills and  ridges. To me it looks like elm leaves with bark kind of similar to white oak... though smaller in its scaley appearance. I found a bunch of it last year and I'm just waiting for the right time to go fetch some.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »
doesn't seem to get much larger than 10" diameter, the fruits look like hops, hence the name.

http://people.duke.edu/~jspippen/plants/ostrya-virginiana080613-4796dukez.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8681582199_8f6c75688f_z.jpg
45# at 27"

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I know there has to be some around, cant believe I have not found any yet.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »
Thanks guys, I know there has to be some around, cant believe I have not found any yet.
yea, I thought the same.  Until I couldn't find any. I also thought the same about yew and osage when I heard of them.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:48 pm »
yea, I thought the same.  Until I couldn't find any. I also thought the same about yew and osage when I heard of them.

Yea osage has been hard to find, while I have found some it was not where I could cut. On the other hand I spent 2 weeks trying to find hickory, once I identified a few I was finding them everywhere and now have a pile of staves. Right now all I have is hickory and maple and am wanting to add something else to the inventory, hophornbeam seemed the logical choice living in IA and having land in MN and WI. Perhaps I should start looking for some other wood to try. Any suggestions for this part of the country?

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:09 am »
Hackberry for one. It's every where.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 04:33:41 am »
Its hard to tell you where to look because I've found it in low wet areas and on high and dry side hills and  ridges. To me it looks like elm leaves with bark kind of similar to white oak... though smaller in its scaley appearance. I found a bunch of it last year and I'm just waiting for the right time to go fetch some.
That's exactly how it looks around here.  It is sort of scattered in south Alabama.  You might find it growing anywhere, but I seem to find more of it in the river bottoms.  The bark does favor white oak, but sort of scaly and reddish underneath. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:37 am »
Squirrelslinger, thanks for posting these sites. I've never looked for nor cut any HHB before, but based on these pics I know I've seen this kind of tree in the woods--guess it was the hops-like fruit that brought it to mind. Thanks
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:36 am »
Try it. It's good bow wood. I prefer it over any other white wood.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:19 am »
One more thing about HHB is that it has all it's branches growing at 90 degrees to the trunk
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com