Author Topic: Respect for Property  (Read 3437 times)

Offline ncpat

Respect for Property
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »
I have recently collected a lot of goose feathers from around a church pond nearby. I have fished that pond for several years. It is a popular fishing spot. 

Last few times out, I have been disgusted by the amount of litter I find. Not just incidental small stuff like bottle caps. Water bottles, soda cans, bait containers, candy/gum wrappers, etc. Found a broken fishing rod today that someone just left there. I cleaned up all I found & brought the fishing rod home to fix up. Still very usable, just a broken tip. I have found several wads of monofilament fishing line, laying on the bank & strings of it snagged in nearby shrubs. Someone could have cut the bulk of it loose in 1-2 minutes and not left a hazard & eyesore.

Let's all remember to respect the property of those who let us use it. How long does it take to clean up our trash? I will not be surprised if the church gets angry and forbids further public use of their pond. I have known other property owners to close their ponds & woods to fishing and hunting for similar reasons. Sometimes we have only ourselves to blame, or our sloppy bretheren. 
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Respect for Property
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »
Truth
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »
 :embarassed: yeah, I know where you're coming from. I live on a small acreage 3 1/2 miles from the nearest town (population 261) off a county maintained gravel road. This is a rural area and the road is used mostly by the locals and a handful of joyriders (beer cans, plastic beverage bottles, and a few fast food bags)  You wouldn't believe the trash thrown out of car and truck windows that litter the ditches. I hop on the bike with a box on the carrier and a couple plastic bags and clean up the mile stretch from my driveway entrance. You would think people would know better and have a little more respect for their environment.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:31:19 pm »
Yes Sir,

Just ONE Facet of my thinking on this Sore Note is:

Leave it better than you fond it and maybe they'll have you back.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
Kinda makes ya wonder what these folks' houses look like.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:37:39 pm »
The place where I sling is a popular shortcut, and hiking place(well, used to be hiking place).
I check the trails each time I sling.
Now when I go up there, I have to avoid broken glass(everywhere), beer bottles, general trash, broken concrete... people just dump stuff.
Its rather irratating. Plus its diffucult to take the shortcut to "town" now on a bike, cause there is so much trash.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bhenders

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »
I'm afraid you're all fighting a losing battle.  We've become the ultimate throw-away society, but keep trying...

Offline ncpat

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:58 pm »
I'm afraid you're all fighting a losing battle.  We've become the ultimate throw-away society, but keep trying...

This goes beyond the throwaway issues. One can throw away a lot of stuff but use trash cans & dumpsters without leaving trash laying around the pond.   
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:33 pm »
I once did a rough count of the beer cans/bottles along a 60 yard stretch of river diverted number was in the hundreds, and that's just the ones I can see. ( probably 90% Miller )
I like free stuff.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:31 pm »
I used to have to cross a street in a certian city near my house during school(2 different buildings cause of construction)...
counted around 300 cig butts in about a 200' strech of road.  Quite insane if you ask me.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »
Welcome to Yosemite National Park and Trash Can

TP flowers abound as well as fast food bags, diapers, cigarette butts and lots of other just plain nasty stuff!

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »
Littering is a HUGE pet peeve of mine...one time a buddy was riding in my car with me and he threw out a coca cola can....I hit my brakes and stopped....told him to get out and go pick it up,and no I wasn't gonna throw it in reverse n back up to it...I made him walk the couple hundred yards back to go get it...I told him I wasn't moving my car until he did  >:D... and he did...funny thing is a few years later I ended up buying a house on that road where I currently live  ;D... FYI ...DONT ever litter in front of me...I'll go ape $%&@ on ya... :laugh:  I could rant for a good while on this but I'll stop there ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »
Yea I hear ya we have a lake called lake manawa here and it is just trashed I don't even go there anymore
I like osage

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:35:16 am »
Must be the same Lake Manawa I know. I have never been there but my Son and his friends have concurred what you said.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 08:45:47 am »
  I fish alot in the summers and do the same everyyear. I also pick up lots of geese feathers.
  Nothing worse than fishing line on geese and ducks. I've even caught muskrats and turtles with scares from line. And once as a kid found a otter floating dead in a pond with line around his neck a front legs.
  Not to many days back I picked up a ball of line that streached 50 feet down the bank.
   VERY SAD

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING