Author Topic: ? Sharpening the Mystic Scraper  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Don

Re: ? Sharpening the Mystic Scraper
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:01:29 pm »
The Mystik scraper isn't sharpened like a conventional scraper. With most other scrapers you square everything up with a file, then stone, then smooth and roll the edge into a burr with a burnisher.... not so with the stainless Mystik.

Bernie Swank from Mystik Longbows showed me how to sharpen his scraper years ago. Here's how.

Sharpening the Mystik scraper is done entirely with a smooth cut metal file.

Often you can sharpen it without going back to square one and completely removing the old burr first.... but if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you may need to completely remove any old burr and perfectly square up the edges.... again, done entirely with the smooth cut file. But unless it's really messed up you should be able to just push a new edge.

Hold the scraper in a padded bench vice with about a third of it exposed above the jaws of the vice, and with a smooth cut mill file held perpendicular to its side(file level with the floor) begin running it, skewed to about a 45 degree angle, along the scraper's edge. As you work, gradually tilt the file a few degrees away from perpendicular, leaning it down on the side you wish to create the burr on, similar to how you roll the edge on a cabinet scraper with a burnisher. Of course, you lift the file after each forward stroke, not run it back and forth like a burnisher.

You should be able to accomplish your task in 12-20 strokes or so. The file will push a cutting edge off the edge of the scraper just like a burnisher does, but a burnisher won't work for squat on this stainless... go figure :). That's about it. It's easy and fast. The longer you do it and the more you lean the file, the greater the burr. Do the same thing to all four corners. Play around with how far you lean the file over, and how much you skew the file. You may want to run the file closer to parallel with the scraper, or more perpendicular to it.

If you try to reconstitute an old burr but it won't cut wood, file it off, square up the scraper's edges, and start over.

The only thing I don't like about the Mystik scraper is that the burr created by the file can sometimes be slightly jagged, which can leave tiny grooves in the wood. To help eliminate it, skew the file at a greater angle, laying it more parallel to the scraper. Also, since the teeth on the file are angled, it will cut slightly different depending on whether its pushed or pulled... usually leaving a smoother burr on the scraper one way than the other. Experiment til you find what works best. Once you get on to it, it really is easy though, fast, and it works. Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

If this description is unclear, I can post pictures. Let me know. Good luck.
Well Well Well. All this time I've been sharpening it like my other scrapers.
10 mins with a file and I now have a sharp Mystic Scraper.
Thank you

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
If get much off perpendicular, I ruin the burr on mine.  I keep it pretty flat.  Finish it with a stone.  Mine takes more than 12 strokes.  More than 20 strokes, but as has been described above, i"m not creating a new burr, just working off the existing burr.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 07:40:27 am »
Slimbob, you're right, it doesn't take much of an angle usually.... and sometimes it takes more strokes to get it just right... all kind of depends on where we're starting from. Mine's due for a touch-up.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 10:20:11 am »
Stainless is the work of the Devil... I wouldn't waste my urine on the stuff.
Good ol' carbon steel filed/ground/belt sanded dead square and burred over by dragging a big old screw driver shaft along it whilst leaning on it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:55 am »
Del, got to say I was with you for most of my bow making life.  Got a Green River knife that has been my scraper for more than a decade now.  Closer to two decades.  A buddy made me a few SS scrapers and asked me to try them.  Reluctantly I did.  They were amazing....when new and sharp.  I found them to be almost impossible to resharpen though.  Fella showed me how to sharpen and now they have sent the Green River into retirement.  Sharper longer lasting edge reduces a lot of the chatter for me.  Mine have rounded ends so I can really work hard to reach places on knotty staves well with them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:48:36 am »
Interesting ... If ever someone gives me one, I'll give it a go.
Must admit having the belt sander makes re-sharpening scrapers less of a pain.
Mind I've got a curved one shaped lke a big comma dunno how to sharpen that baby easilly especially on the inside curves?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:25:15 am »
Del, my other scrapers are carbon which in most cases I prefer. I also have the comma scraper and although it is hard to sharpen it gets used a lot when I'm cleaning up dips in the back of the stave.
All of my knives are carbon steel and they take and hold an edge very well. A couple of my old Cold Steel Carbon V blades are some of the best I've ever used. I'd love to have a scraper made out of that steel but not willing to turn my good knives into a scraper.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.