Author Topic: My First (unsuccessful) Attempt at a Self Bow  (Read 4381 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: My First (unsuccessful) Attempt at a Self Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »
Yep, that's why I asked the question of whether it was dead.  Shouldnta broke, if it was living and just cut.  Discard the rest, and start with another tree like the others suggested.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »
Hahaha I did the same thing with my first one.  I was too worried about getting the limbs too thin and stressed the limb too much and popped a splinter.  The first one you break you learn a lot.  Your next one will be much better!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:24 pm »
Jeez. In retrospect, I should've been able to tell it was dead when I cut it. This was the first tree I've ever cut. I feel like an idiot.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »
Ok, lotta lessons learned, so you are waaaaaay ahead of where you were a week ago!  That's great!  You have learned that you can shape something out to look like a bow and turn out a pretty respectable looking handle. 

Now we just need to get your next bow to this stage so you can learn the tillering craft.  If you knew just how many of us bust bows on a regular basis after learning all we have learned, you'd feel pretty good about yourself right now!

Now grab a beaver, load him up with espresso and Red Bull and go gnaw down your next victim, I mean tree!  You'll have a bow soon, now.   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »
Don't.  20 years ago a guy could of done the same thing, broke the bow, and not known why.  Gone back out and repeated the same mistake again.  Today, our screw ups are on the internet for all the world to laugh at, but the learning curve is not nearly as flat.  Go find a good living piece of Elm or Hackberry and try her again.  Oh and leave the Osage alone should you find any.  Pitiful stuff dead or alive.  Send me a pm if you run across any and I will get shed of it for you.  Pitiful stuff.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:16 am »
Took me awhile too. Keep at it.

I leave handles for after full draw. There's info on my site. Jawge

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!