Author Topic: Bows and bow materials of indigenous/first nations people.  (Read 3012 times)

Offline munkinstein

Bows and bow materials of indigenous/first nations people.
« on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:21 am »
I'm trying to find information of bows and bow material that was used by the first nation people in Ontario?  What type of wood they used for bow and arrows?  Bow designs?  I can;t really find much, either there is very little information, or my google-fu is not very good.  Anyway even some source material would be fantastic!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Bows and bow materials of indigenous/first nations people.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:19 am »
A good place to start is your local library. Look up books on the trees and plants of the region. They'll often give information on how the plants were used.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:37:39 pm »
Guess that's a tough call.  Looking at territory maps your probably looking at Algonkian bows?  Ontario is a big place...
1’—>1’

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:13 am »
hickory seems to be a common bow wood among Iroquoian peoples, which would include "huron" (Wendat) and Wyandot.
because of the climate, its difficult to recover samples of wood objects or tools from village sites but there are newer ways of testing
objects that might reveal its use and its kind. I'd search under archaeological reports in Ontario.  also google:  Iroquois bows arrows

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:18 pm »

Ditto to what has already been said. ;)  I would think that whatever material
grew in that area would have been utilized.  Spruce, for arrows, Fir, Birch, any of the Viburnums,etc.  As for bows, hickory, Iron Wood, Hop Horn Bean, Birch, which is used in some Nordic Countries. I am just guessing here, but like they said look up trees in the area, and shrubs, and Indian Bows and arrows, etc. in your local Library or ask a local Agricultural Extension,Agent about the local trees, and plants, or a horticulturist, etc.  Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
     Might be something in the style of Mohawk, Huron, and the Wyandot, or a little of each, etc. Like I said, I guessing here, but I think that they would not differ too greatly.  But I could be wrong, they could've had an antique version of the .......  the....... the........ COMPOUND!!!!! :o :o :o :o ::) :P  Hey, it could happen........ you know like maybe the price of gas will come down to a dollar a gallon.  It could happen.....it could, but it won't , :(  but it could! >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wayne.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 11:23:21 pm »
if you are ever in DC try to get permission to look at Native American bows and arrows at the Smithsonian at their Cultural Resource Center.
there MAY even be some digitalized and thus, pictures online .
I was there for two weeks with a team looking for Wyandot/Wendat material so didn't have time to see everything i wanted to
, but i caught sight of trays and trays of arrows ,shelves and shelves of bows.
I had them pull a few trays of arrows. often they aren't marked well, and they appreciate any help from people who
can recognize woods used and tribal affiliation. they will actually follow you and write stuff down you tell them.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...