Author Topic: Anyone here from WY?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Shiloh

Anyone here from WY?
« on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:34 pm »
So, I'm moving out to Riverton, Wyoming this coming fall for college. Excited, and can't wait to explore a new place.  ;D So, I was just wondering if there's any bowyers from around the area? Just kind of curious. I don't know how much actual bow-making I'll get done while I'm there, but it'd be nice to know what kinds of wood there are to work with in the area. (Pleaselettherebeosage, pleaselettherebeosage... :laugh:)
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Anyone here from WY?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:05:24 pm »
Wolfwatcher is in Meeteetse
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:23 pm »
(Pleaselettherebeosage, pleaselettherebeosage... :laugh:)

Nope, just cottonwoods along the creekbottoms and sage everywhere else.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:42 am »
I live on the Wood River outside of Meeteetse.  Hawk Huston will be moving back to Meeteetse sometime in August.  As far as bow wood is concerned the Indians used some Juniper.  I don't know if anyone as made a bow out of Russian Olive, but it looks like it would make a good bow.  Its really hard on chain saws and there is no limit on its availability.  There is a professional bowyer in Casper named Herb Maland of Prong Horn Archery.  He advertises in the PA magazine and I have one of his bows.  There is another Professional bowyer in Lovell that I have never met.  You will have to come by for a visit once you get settled in at school!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:38:18 am »
Thanks everyone, especially Wolf Watcher! I'll definitely try to make it out there once I get settled in and used to the weather. Going to snow for 9 months instead of rain will be a change.  :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »
Ya don't have to shovel rain.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:46 pm »
Ya don't have to shovel rain.

True, but you had better learn to swim.  ;D

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 04:58:04 am »
Okay, not to necro this thread, but holy cow. I just looked at the costs of a Wyo deer or elk tag and suddenly realized that I ain't hunting this fall.  :o

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:27:42 am »
You are right about Non Resident license fees in Wyo. but there are other things to bow hunt that cost little.  I spent two days at Boyson Reservoir which is very close to Riverton  shooting carp which you can do if you plan to summer in Wyoming. Some good fishing around there also. We hunt cotton tails with our bows and that is a lot of fun.  Where I live on the Wood River all the game tags are by draw and this year I never drew a single tag.  I will be able to get some cow elk tags and last year I harvested three cows.  There are some general across the counter tags available so will have to saddle up the mule and horses and hit the back country.  Maybe your first year in school you can spend some time learning the country.  There are some very good antelope areas and some big mule deer in that area.  You will also meet some of the Indians from the Rez there.  Looking forward to meeting you!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
If i was you I'd be spending as much time as I could in the wind rivers...hunting or not I'd be roaming my rear end off in there ;) ....I got a cousin in Jackson hole...but he's a die hard mountaineer/snowboarder n guides folks but doesn't do the primitive stuff....enjoy and do as much as you can there and make the most of it....I lived in Colorado for four years in my younger years n loved almost every minute of it...good luck,and be safe out there in the big country ;)