Author Topic: One limb reflexed, the other flat (finished pics page 2)  (Read 5666 times)

Offline briarjumper12

One limb reflexed, the other flat (finished pics page 2)
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:35:21 pm »
Gentleman,
I am working on a hickory stave that has stumped me somewhat.  It's got one limb that is reflexed about 1.5 inches or maybe a little more and the other limb is board flat.  The specs are as follows, 72 in tpt, 1 3/4 wide at fades to midlimb tapering to a heavy 3/8 tip at the tips.  I roughed out 5/8 thick at fades tapering 1/32 every 4 inches (limb divided in 8 equal sections along length) to 3/8 thick at tips.  Thickness has been reduced some but has remained consistent.  I have it braced now at 3 inces and pulling it to about 35 lbs (can't remember draw lenght right now). 

On my tillering board the reflexed limb sits at rest about 1 1/2 higher than the flat limb but when working the bow the reflexed limb moves about 1/4 inch more at the tips than the flat.  I have cut the reflexed limb a little thinner than the flat limb and judging by the tip movement when working the bow I assume it is actually weaker than the flat limb dispite the crazy look when braced. 

My question is how should I deal with this phenomenon?  I've thought of a few options. I'll list what I've considered.

1 Heat the reflexed limb up and flatten it out.
2 build a caul and reflex both limbs to match.
         I am really not wanting to go to all that trouble though.
3 Tiller it on out, watching the taper closely and making sure both limbs are similar in strenght with the reflexed limb just a shade weaker and use for the top limb.  Although this option may make for a lopsided braced profile.
4 Tiller it out making both limbs equal strength and use the reflexed limb as the bottom limb.

What is your folks opinions?  I'll post some pics if necessary but I think this is pretty well explained. I've checked TBB, all 4 volumes and The Bent Stick.  Comstock recommends flattening out the reflexed limb.

Thanks,
JY

Pics added in subsequent replies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:03:56 pm by briarjumper12 »

Offline bubby

Re: One limb reflexed, the other flat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:57 pm »
got any pics?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »
Hey briar, I have a caul you could use. I think it induces 3" of reflex from center to tip. It has worked magic for me on a couple rowdy staves. You're welcome to it.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »
10-4 Greg.  If I go that route I'll holler at ya.
I'll get some pics up when I get the chance. Entertaining younguns at the moment.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:29:05 pm »
unbraced from both sides.  Reflexed limb on left in top pic.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
braced at 3 inches.  top pic with reflexed limb on left.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
Drawn to 13 inches, 35 lb.  Reflexed limb on left in top pic.

What says the gurus?

Offline bubby

Re: One limb reflexed, the other flat (pics added)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »
i'd just make a bow, ain't that much reflex
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »
Type of wood? Clamp it to a caul and put equal reflex to both limbs with heat.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:51 pm »
i'd just make a bow, ain't that much reflex

That's what I was hoping to do.  If I even out the braced profile will the reflexed limb get to weak? Should I not worry about the braced profile being lopsided and keep the limbs working the same?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 06:23:08 am »
I say - make the bow, go for it. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:50 am »
"Should I not worry about the braced profile being lopsided and keep the limbs working the same?"

Correct. Don't worry about the braced profile. A limb should bend evenly along it's length, and equal the strength of the other limb... when held the way the archer will hold it... but that doesn't mean it must match the profile of the other limb. Limbs may look different and still contribute equally such that they are syncronized. When that is accomplished, when they are perfectly syncronized, bows with odd-shaped profiles unstrung SHOULD have odd shaped profiles at brace and on through to full draw. Tillering limbs with different profiles to look the same to suit your eye is not the way to go.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:20 am »
"Should I not worry about the braced profile being lopsided and keep the limbs working the same?"

Correct. Don't worry about the braced profile. A limb should bend evenly along it's length, and equal the strength of the other limb... when held the way the archer will hold it... but that doesn't mean it must match the profile of the other limb. Limbs may look different and still contribute equally such that they are syncronized. When that is accomplished, when they are perfectly syncronized, bows with odd-shaped profiles unstrung SHOULD have odd shaped profiles at brace and on through to full draw. Tillering limbs with different profiles to look the same to suit your eye is not the way to go.

That's what where my thoughts were leading me but I was wondering if I correct or not.  Which would you suggest for top limb? I've read conflicting opinions but ways seemed to make sense if done correctly.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »
Yup, the only way to get it to look "normal"/"balanced" is to reflex the other limb to match.  It's not enough to worry about in my opinion unless you WANT them reflexed.  Then you could do both on a caul and get them even.

AS IS:  put a shim under the grip on the flat side to get the tips evened up, then tiller away as any other bow.  The reflexed limb should end up your bottom limb.

Now get after it ;)

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:37 pm »
Thank ye gents.  I'm on it.
Had a minor set back. A crack emerged at the shoulder of knock. Nothing a little superglue and a tip overlay won't fix though. Just more time invested LOL.