Author Topic: Tri Lam  (Read 4435 times)

Offline bow101

Tri Lam
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:57:41 pm »
Thinking of making a Tri lam for my next project.  I have some yew, and gonna buy either Red/White oak or Maple.  Should I use use the yew as the center lam.....???  The yew I have is like Rock hard...... :o :o :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Tri Lam
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:07 am »
I would go with a backing piece of maple and two lams of yew... which will give kind of the classic yew look... with the maple looking like the yew's sapwood.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »
The yew is strong in compression so it would be a good belly wood. Dances has a good suggestion but you could also do a maple backed yew without doing a tri-lam.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:42:58 pm »
I would go with the tri lam. Tri lam bows take on such a nice deflex/reflex profile. So much sexier than just two sections glued together. Here is an Osage, Osage, and Boo tri lam I am working on now. I flipped the tips with heat on both Osage lams before glue up.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:27:42 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  Ok this is what I'm looking at now, today I was cutting some lam material. Old scrap lying around.

Belly = Yew
Core= White oak X2
Back= Douglas fir

Total 4 lams, have to use 4 to get the thickness, its what I have......... ::)  will that work......?

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:33:24 pm »
Just do the opposite of what Roy tells you and you'll be fine, I think he's finally hit the senile stage in his life >:D
>>>---------->

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:38:15 pm »
white oak is almost unbreakable, I wouldn't sandwich it, you can do what you want but if it was me i'd go maple yew and try and get a sap wood look, if you want to do a tri lam put some epe, walnut or even osage in the middle and get some nice color, go to all that effort ya might as well get a shooter that is pretty
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:15:08 pm »
I'm not familiar with Douglas fir for a backing, I'm thinking no.

Hey Ducker Boy, ya just made the thumpin list son:)

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
I'm not familiar with Douglas fir for a backing, I'm thinking no.

Hey Ducker Boy, ya just made the thumpin list son:)

There is Pro bow builder on another site and he swears by it.  He made a few takedown bows using DF, which is my plan as well.
Any whooo my question was again; use Yew on the Belly as Pat B recommended.?

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »
Yes on yew belly, take pictures and keep us posted.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:14:37 pm »
I would go with the tri lam. Tri lam bows take on such a nice deflex/reflex profile. So much sexier than just two sections glued together. Here is an Osage, Osage, and Boo tri lam I am working on now. I flipped the tips with heat on both Osage lams before glue up.
Roy,
Just curious whats the unstrung profile look like? Picts?
Thanks,
Greg

Offline Roy

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:38:42 pm »
Here ya go TH.......

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 12:05:53 pm »
I've used yew as both mid-lam and belly wood in tri-lams. If you use yew as your core, make it thin... 1/4" or less. I also would NOT use fir as a backing. The white oak or maple will be much better.

I really like maple backed yew. It's probably one of my favourites. I've had good success with it, even with warbows up to 115#.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »
I've heard of people using the bottom sides of fir branches for the compression (belly) of the bow with birch backs. Seems like a good lightweight combo to me, might be something to think about.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:56 pm »
The guy is full of crap......Douglas fir is worthless for backing, and not much use in belly wood either. Doug fir heartwood "can" make a bow, but there are way to many choices here on the west coast to mess with fir. Old growth will make good arrows, not bows. Exceptions would be under glass. :) Still don't see a point. :)

If you have yew, and oak .....yew would be the belly, oak the back in my opinion. ;)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.