Author Topic: Tri Lam  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Roy

Re: Tri Lam
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »
Tri Lam finished on the tree..

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:50 pm »
Here ya go TH.......
Thanks much, I am going to try on a solid piece of hickory this winter. Gotta make a jig and it might take a bit of heat work but it's worth a try. I like the profile and seems like it would be fast if done correctly.
Greg

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »
The guy is full of crap......Douglas fir is worthless for backing, and not much use in belly wood either. Doug fir heartwood "can" make a bow, but there are way to many choices here on the west coast to mess with fir. Old growth will make good arrows, not bows. Exceptions would be under glass. :) Still don't see a point. :)

If you have yew, and oak .....yew would be the belly, oak the back in my opinion. ;)

VMB

I don't know who this guy is or anything and I am not gonna say anything bad about him or his experience, but the fir I have used (in 2 x 4 lumber form and all) definitely doesn't strike me as a tension strong wood? It seems brittle if anything. But of course, I have never used it as a backing, so I honestly don't know. I have been using some hard maple lately though I picked up for super cheap, it has worked just great. I am loving it, nice tight grain, nice and bendy and tension strong, and also light in weight compared to hickory or bamboo. That has got to be my favorite part. I haven't been able to break a bow made with it yet.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:17 am »
Yes, hard maple makes great backing, as does white oak, ash, and of course hickory. There may be a species of fir out there that will make a good backing (I have never heard of it) But douglas fir....not even in the same league. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:55 am »
all ya got to do is check out my bows to know how much I like hard maple, like vmb said it's great stuff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 06:01:36 pm »
The guy is full of crap......Douglas fir is worthless for backing, and not much use in belly wood either. Doug fir heartwood "can" make a bow, but there are way to many choices here on the west coast to mess with fir. Old growth will make good arrows, not bows. Exceptions would be under glass. :) Still don't see a point. :)

If you have yew, and oak .....yew would be the belly, oak the back in my opinion. ;)

VMB

I don't know who this guy is or anything and I am not gonna say anything bad about him or his experience, but the fir I have used (in 2 x 4 lumber form and all) definitely doesn't strike me as a tension strong wood? It seems brittle if anything. But of course, I have never used it as a backing, so I honestly don't know. I have been using some hard maple lately though I picked up for super cheap, it has worked just great. I am loving it, nice tight grain, nice and bendy and tension strong, and also light in weight compared to hickory or bamboo. That has got to be my favorite part. I haven't been able to break a bow made with it yet.

Ok so I goofed up; the Douglas fir is used under [Glass].  So forget I even mentioned it..

Like bubby said, sticking with oak and maple is best bet, easy to get and cheap.  I did a test glue up with the Yew yesterday, went out to the garage and pulled the limb she snapped easier than bending a toothpick. So the yew is out of the question, to dry and very brittle, only good for handles and tip overlays, I'll pick-up some maple.

"Roy that bow looks really nice. "
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell