Author Topic: yew motherlode!!!!  (Read 13234 times)

Offline juniper junkie

yew motherlode!!!!
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »
it seems that I have hit the jackpot on the yew wood. all decked up  and ready to be cut. how many bows do you see in this wood!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

Re: yew motherlode!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:58:16 pm »
sweet lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:03:19 pm »
here is a pic of the staves in my truck. I need to go back and get the rest of it. I probably got 1/3 of what is there if that. some of it was twisted too bad, but there is a lot of wood left underneath what i cut. it started pouring down rain and I got soaked. will return in a week or so, or maybe sooner, to get some more. I think it was logged last winter, so the wood was dried out some. some of those trees are well over a hundred years old! sad to see them tossed aside to go to waste. I will salvage what I can use for bows and maybe make some lumber for picture frames out of some. Yew is really pretty wood, cant stand to see it go to waste.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »
Yew lucky guy! ;D  You sure must be living right. 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:35:54 pm »
Oh for cryin' out loud.   I'd ask what you're planning to do with it, but .......   What a find and a certain amount of hard work.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:32 pm »
Oh my, looks like you are set for life! :o
Gordon

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 12:02:19 am »
Looks like a great haul. Mind if I ask where yew found it?         
Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

whatareyadoin

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:59 am »
that stuff is like Gold, We can't do that here in northern cali. I sure would like to buy a stave But I can't Afford 250

Offline jpitts

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:47:45 am »
I'd go back and get it all....you can make lams too...accent stripes...all kinds of stuff....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:09:18 am »
I found out about it accidently through a friend of mine. he works for a private timber company as a forestry cruiser. he told me that there was some yew in some logging that they did. He gave me a contact number and through a lot of phone calls, was able to aquire a permit, although there was some red tape to deal with, it went pretty smooth. try contacting forestry companies in your area and see if there is any yew available for salvage. this deck is behind a locked gate, so nobody has messed with it. I will have a hard time working this week, will be thinking about getting some more of it! some of the larger yew has some rot setting in so it is worthless, but there is a lot of useable wood. besides, it makes a great wood for a fire in my tipi!

330bull

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:02:10 am »
Seal those ends ASAP and anywhere you have any exposed bark, do the same.  Although I am horribly jealous, at first glance it appears you have some very challenging logs that have a lot of twists and bark violations.  Please don't take it personally at all!!!  I wish you all of the luck in the world and you also may want to consider splitting into billets or staves PDQ too!   :)  Good luck!!!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 07:16:11 am »
Good for you. I wonder why they were cut?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sonny

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 08:52:59 am »
likely cut 'cause they were in the way.....there's no yew here but where they cut wood for lumber, etc. around here they cut everything.

nice find !!!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:17 pm »
wana trade?!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah