Author Topic: funky tiller check  (Read 2502 times)

Offline k-hat

funky tiller check
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
this is an elm stave, parallel limbs out to last twelve inches, then taper to the nocks.  Had a lot of funkiness to it, and i heated out as much as i dared.  Some deflex outta one limb with a little twist then twist back with reflex, and steady deflex and reflex outta the other.  Here she is with a low brace about 3":

I think i still need to loosen up midlimb on the right a touch.  Whatchall think?  Of course raising to full brace may get that right side looking better as well.  All input is welcome!

Head'n off to work so I won't be able to respond to any questions until late tonight :-\

Thanks!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: funky tiller check
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:19 am »
Yup, midway right side.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »
That was my first thought too!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »
In my opinion, it looks like midlimb on the right, and the entire left limb needs tto have a few scrapes taken off. good luck :)
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:38 pm »
Thank ya boys!  Just wanted to verify my suspicions before i proceed. you know you look at these things too long, your eyes get crossed and you keep removing wood until you have a nice toothpick ;D  ::).

Still have plenty of weight left to finish her out, aiming for 50-55'ish, she's prob round 60ish now.

Thanks again!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
Did some scrapin and brought her up close to full brace.  She's bout there, just a little tweaking i think.  42# at 21", so looks like I'll hit mid-50's when finished.  That's a good feeling ;D

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:40:40 pm »
Coming along! Maybe a few scrapes 1/3 out from handle on right. You got a tillering gizmo?

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:26 pm »
That looks much better, but I think she's still a tad stiff in the same spot.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Thanks Tom, SB, I'm torn about that area right there.  My thinking is that the deflex just before that spot (and it's reflex and twist in that spot) is making it look deceivingly stiff.  It's for sure bending, and the calipers tell me the taper is about right. 

It is my understanding that the set tells the story, and it seems like what little set there is is pretty uniform.  Here is a pic showing the unbraced side profile just before I started tillering, and now at 22":

Does anyone see excess/uneven set occuring at any particular location?  Ignore the line on the wall underneath the bow.  I trimmed the grip down about 3/16" to even it up, so it looks closer that it did. 

Anywho, lemme know what your thoughts are :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22:55 pm »
Your splittin hairs Kev! Build that bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:35 pm »
Lol alright then Chris :D  I have a bad habit of overanalyzing, can you tell? ::)

Just cut the shelf and rough shaped the grip.  I'm working it out bit by bit and shootn'r in out to full draw.  Should have her there shortly :)

I just love bowmakin Fridays ;D