Author Topic: Harvesting Bow Staves  (Read 7835 times)

Offline steven.nance

Harvesting Bow Staves
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:53:52 am »
I'm trying to build a self bow and I'm having trouble getting some proper wood. In reading about harvesting bow wood, I've seen that some folks store their staves for years before making a bow. Is this necessary? I'd like to get a log and get to work as quickly as possible; I'm really itching to start. Would you guys steer away from choosing a log out of a lumber yard? I found a place nearby that's got some hardwood logs. Would it be best to cut a tree myself? Thanks for the help.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Harvesting Bow Staves
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:28 am »
No it's not nessecary to store your wood for years like some guys do you can rough the bow out To where it's just beginning to bend wait a month or two and then finish it which is what I do most of the time since I dont have the patience some guys do lol
I like osage

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:51:02 am »
Exactly. Cut a few sticks to mess around with, get used to tillering, etc, then if say u find a really nice stave you can season it longer and u'll have the experience needed to make a good bow.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:58:11 am »
Good tips. Thanks, guys.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:28 am »
Give us a clue where you are?
I'm in the UK and I'm sorting out my stash of staves, I have some stuff you could use...but you are prob in US... I dunno I'm not psychic.
Sooner you cut 'em sooner they will season.
Hazel can be seasoned in a month, paint the neds with PVA (old paint whatever) stick it somewhere warm and airy. Rough it out after a few weeks and then let it season a bit more.
If you cutr some timber and split it, you can practice on the 'bad' halfs while  the good is seasoning.
Del
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:28:16 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:48 am »
Some folks buys staves online. I've never even looked but you might could get a seasoned stave off of ebay or from one of these nice fellas on here. Some of these guys are pretty generous.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:13 am »
Cut tree yourself.
Seal ends.
Remove bark. Reduce to near-finished dimensions.
Set aside to dry for three weeks, indoors in a dry room.
Build yourself a boardbow in the meantime, to learn how to tiller.
Finish the other bow, since the stave is now dry.
Voila; two finished bows in as little as four weeks time.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
More good stuff. I am in the states, Del. Thanks for the thought.

Dark Soul, I'm gonna try out that plan; sounds good. What do I use to seal the ends?

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »
Last time I checked the states were a pretty big place with lots of different geographies with different n seperate tree species ;) ....soooooo...where are you specifically?...the more detailed info you give the better answers you'll get

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:05 pm »
Western NC.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »
Western NC.

Should be easy to find good bow wood over there
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:52 pm »
Head over to brevard and there's a bunch of already to use seasoned wood over there ;)  :laugh: ..heck ya might even get some help on how to build it too ;)  8) ..."one" of the well known members here is close to you ;)

But you got plenty of hardwood forests around you containing lots of decent woods...hickory,oaks,elms,hophornbeam,black locust,etc....n the list goes on..you can do as dark soul says n go cut some hickory saplings n start reducing em down to near bow dimension to quick dry em

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »
I use polyurethane to seal the ends of my logs. It has worked well. But I know others use anything from old paint to wood glue. Anything that you can slap on there to slow down the moisture leakage.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »
I'm in Brevard and have well seasoned staves and I will give you a few but you have to come get them.
 Also, on the weekend of July 19,20,21 I'm having Patty's Camp-O-Rama here at my place. It is a weekend of primitive skills, bow building, flint knapping, fire starting, cordage, arrows and more. Free primitive camping, shared food and beverages of all types and music in the evenings.
 Where in WNC are you?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steven.nance

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
That sounds awesome! I'm in Maggie Valley, near Asheville. I should be able to get off work at least that Friday. What all should I bring? For the camp and the staves.