Author Topic: Hard lesson learned  (Read 1941 times)

Offline DLH

Hard lesson learned
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »
The sugar maple I split a few weeks ago I stored in an insulated building that didn't have heat or air. I wanted to bring it inside but didn't have much of a choice. For some reason I couldn't convince my parents to let me store a 20 in diameter log split into staves in their house and I have limited room in my apt. This is what the staves looked like after I checked them this weekend. They all had molded really bad. I belly spilt the mold part off and resealed them and plan on sneaking them inside. I did keep one stave inside because it had the nicest character so not all is lost. I'm glad I noticed it when I did and I'm hoping they will be alright I also sprayed them with a dilute bleach solution before sealing them too. Is there any way to store or dry wood in a uncontrolled humidity environment or do you all bring it inside? Also I belly split the stave that I brought in and it went from end to end the others all ran out about half way any reason for this?

Offline AH

Re: Hard lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:02:43 pm »
white wood really likes to mold over. When I cut hickory, I always keep cure it indoors and seal the stave's ends and back. Not sure if the back is neccesary to seal, but I usually do it.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:36 pm »
Sorry to hear this Daniel. i know you worked hard for them. Glad you saved some.Seal the backs as well as the ends and you should be ok where you had them. Do you have a loft or rafters in a barn on your farm? Just something out of the rain and off the ground.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:05 pm »
I ended up bringing them in and stashing them under the bed. I guess where the humidity is so high they molded over. You don't think they would have molded in a barn Tracy?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:57 pm »
Sealing the backs really help. Rafters or loft will get you some air flow to aid in drying along with some heat this time of year. I've had good luck this way with the white woods.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:55 am »
Yes it's not just humidity but also air flow that makes the difference. Think of clothes drying on a line....it's the airflow that transports the moisture away.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:44 am »
Sealing the backs doesn't help much if you store them in a place with high humidity and no air movement. I've learned that the hard way.

I've discovered that all it takes is a small fan to prevent mold. Just a little bit of circulating air solves the problem. At least for me it did.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:15:35 am »
Yep,I keep a fan going in my outsde shop most of the summer,it helps a lot,no longer than them were left it probably didn't hurt them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good