Author Topic: point id help  (Read 2053 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

point id help
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »
maybe sum one can tell me about this point. found it under a old old house i was helping my dad do sum work on.  its got a hi glassy sound and a Brit shine.  any info any one can give would be grate .

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: point id help
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:12:14 pm »
What State?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:33:09 pm »
mississippi  not far from jackson

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »
Tishimingo gravel, heat treated, looks like a stemmed dart point, probably middle to late Archaic, possibly early Woodland.  Any where from 6,000 to about 2,500 years old. The notch out of the side was probably made by some kind of farming implement.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »
My guess is a Pontchartrain type.  3400-2000 yrs BP.  (BP means before yr 1950)  Late Archaic to Woodland period.

Two unusual things:  the tip is very rounded and it does look heat treated.
The tip looks like it has heavy use wear or it might be resharpened.  In other words, the original point may have been much longer or more pointed.
If the material is Tishomingo county gravel, then it needs a lot of heat to make it easy to work.  I think most of that material was worked raw and points from it sometimes look crude.  I don't know anything about Tishomingo, other than what I've read, so I'm not sure about the material.  It could also be Citronella gravel or even Kaolin type chert.

If you could take a closeup picture of the "ding" on the side, we might be able to see if the material is glossy on the inside (meaning that it's heat treated).  If it's dull on the inside, then the shine might be river polish.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »
I almost don't think it was a finished point. If you look at the base it appears to not have been thinned at all.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »
i dont no if these well help i had to use my camra on my cell phone and could not get a real good pic

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
thanks for the help with this one guys its cool to no  more about it. wish i had have the points i use to have win i was a kid . i was all ways looking for points on the sand bars and rock beds. win i was a kid i had  lots of old points put up in a box but win we moved the got lost  this is the first point Ive found in years that was not broke.