Author Topic: Primitive Shaving  (Read 3965 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Primitive Shaving
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
I started shaving with a double edged straight razor several months ago.  My wife got me this set for fathers day as I've already talked about wanting a wood set.  The wood comes from a 5000 year old Russian desert ironwood tree.  The brush is pure silvertip badger hair.  The thoughts of going back to a modern day razor system gives me shivers.  The process of shaving with a "primitive" razor has much of the same draw as primitive archery.  It is about the process and slow down.  For those of you who have never used this type of set up, you are missing out!  I can't wait to teach my boy how to shave with a DE straight blade in a few years.  Anyone else do traditional wet shaving?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Primitive Shaving
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »
That's not a straight razor, a straight razor opens like a pocket knife.  Whatcha got there is a double safety razor. 

And as safety razors go, that is a whale of a set!!!  Lucky you!  I use Williams brand shaving soap and a badger bristle brush along with a modern razor.  I would love to pick up a safety razor like yours some time.

From time to time (typically when in Rendezvous camp) I will break out my straight razor, strop, towels, two gallons of boiling hot water, and shaving mug with soap and brush to do a righteous shave.  Before I am done with the shave, it's typical to have a dozen people standing around taking bets on not only whether I will cut myself but on whether or not I will survive the cut.  Nice thing about a straight razor shave, I can usually go another extra day without shaving.  Baby smoooooth!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
That's all I use, safety razor and water, no soap. That is a pretty, dandy looking set. I never could get a straight razor sharp enough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »
Awesome set you have, made me think about my grandad (thanks) he used the safety razor and soap nothing this fancy tho.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »
Whats that stuff used for?  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:34 pm »
Primitive shaving is when you take a flint flake and trim your beard.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:59 pm »
You're right JW-   I still haven't learned the vernacular yet.  It's a double edged safety razor.  I don't think I have the courage to use a straight razor yet. The learning curve from a cartridge to this set up was a couple of weeks.  You could do some serious damage with the slip of a straight razor. 

Pat- now that's funny! ;)

Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Marks

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:32 am »
Don't get me wrong, that is a BEAUTY!!! but I think "Primitive shaving" is an oxymoron.  >:D

This is primitive.  8)

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 11:04:43 am »
That gives me an idea. I'm fixin to start a new thread. Bearded ones keep a lookout.

I will repeat, That set is might purty. If I was a shaving man I'd be envious. Heck, being a non shaving man I'm still a little jealous. I could chase a ring with one of them in a hurry and look good doing it.  O:)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:46 pm »
Whats that stuff used for?  :o

I sent Pat B a private message offering to teach a class at the next Tennessee Classic in primitive shaving using his beard.  I think he went into an apoplectic fit!  Maybe I should have just offered to take down the sapwood and a couple growthrings on his beard!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »
Now THAT I can handle!   8)  I like that setup.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr