Author Topic: Steam bending  (Read 2922 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Steam bending
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »
I have no checks on the belly or sides just the back.  Should I just coat the back as if green and bark removed, then try steaming or coat the whole thing?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 06:42:37 am »
Joec123able,if you use dry heat on wet/green wood before steaming it will check
a lot of the times even if sealed. Seal and Steam it first and you can use dry heat after that. :) I don't steam a lot because I don't use wet/green wood very often.Got plenty of seasoned wood to work with so usually use dry heat. :) I am not saying if you don't seal it, or steam dry wood or dry heat wet wood it will alway check but it has happened enough to me [and I have steamed and dry heated a lot of wood]that it's not worth the chance so I seal it always.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:04 am »
Thanks Pappy.  I live in the desert, it is pretty dry as you would expect.  At the hottest part of the day the R.H. gets down to around 15%.  Would you just coat the back with the sealer?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 11:15:27 am »
Yes I would,like I said it's not going to hurt to seal it so I seal them all and it can make the difference between checking and not checking ,so to me it's not much trouble so I do them all,either way. :) I just keep cheap wood glue mixed up [cut with a small amout of water] in a coffee can with a lid on it and a brush inside  takes a couple of minutes to seal one.  :) I know some will argue that you don't need to and I agree you don't always need to but for no more trouble than it is I just seal them,I hate checks,they don't usually hurt the bow as has been said if the don't run off but they don't look good to me and I will usually want co cover them up with a skin or something,I like skins but don't want to have to skin one because of my laziness. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:46 am »
Good point.  Thanks you again, I'll  post pics soon just got one broken in, not the one in question. ::)
In my dry climate do you think I could use dry heat with success? P.S. that will be the last question  :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:34 pm »
I would think yes,if the Moisture content in the wood is down,don't have that problem in Tennessee,humidity is 75 to 90 all spring and summer and sometimes into the late fall. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good