Author Topic: Something I noticed reading Tim Baker's bowwood list  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Something I noticed reading Tim Baker's bowwood list
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:11:48 pm »
I noticed this(and thought it was wierd)-
LIGNUM VITAE “Ironwood.” Heartwood is about 1.14, heavier than water. I’ve made one bow from its sapwood, density estimated at .85. A bend test yielded ¼” of set when bent 3” to 38lb. Osage yields about 3.5” at 34lb. A slight thickness adjustment would have them testing the same. An osage-design bow took near zero set. A heartwood bow might best be 20% narrower than Osage.

Something is better and stronger than Osage? Never thought this would be possible.
I seriously thought osage was the BEST bow wood in the world.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

Re: Something I noticed reading Tim Baker's bowwood list
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »
Yea but lignum vitae is the hardest wood on the planet it also an endangered species so it cost a lot to buy the wood I have one bow that has lignum vitae tip over lays. I think Osage is a better wood due to the fact that it's more readily available
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:39:08 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »
I thought Lingum Vitae was not possible to get... I also thought it was very brittle.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »
Live Oak from here in Texas is every bit as dense as Osage, but lacks the elasticity.  More to consider than just SG when discussing best bow woods.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
It's not impossible to get but most people haven't even heard of it . You can buy lignum vitae but it's gonna cost a lot and is very heavy so shipping it cost a lot. The lignum vitae overlays I have are actually called "argentine" lignum vitae which is very similar looks exactly the same and sinks in water. I don't know if it's brittle but as far as I know it was used as ship propellers and ball bearings because of its durability
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:53:23 am »
I've got a large board of lignum vitae.
I have made a few bows from it. They have been nice bows but not the be all and end all.
I really wish people would realise that density is far from the only quality that bow wood needs. Sure osage is a good bow wood but not just because it has a fairly high density....it's compression v. tension strengths are very similar = very important! Also it has very good elasticity = very important. Density comes quite far down the list of good properties in my book.
Brittle is a word which means little when describing bow wood as it is a highly subjective term. Lignum vitae has an incredibly interlocking grain and a much higher oil content than any other wood. In fact it doesn't even look like 'normal' wood. When cut it is a light to medium brown with a very aromatic scent that can't really be mistaken for anything else. Once it is exposed to sunlight it takes on green shades and continues to darken quite considerably.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:01 am »
I've got a large board of lignum vitae.
I have made a few bows from it. They have been nice bows but not the be all and end all.
I really wish people would realise that density is far from the only quality that bow wood needs. Sure osage is a good bow wood but not just because it has a fairly high density....it's compression v. tension strengths are very similar = very important! Also it has very good elasticity = very important. Density comes quite far down the list of good properties in my book.
Brittle is a word which means little when describing bow wood as it is a highly subjective term. Lignum vitae has an incredibly interlocking grain and a much higher oil content than any other wood. In fact it doesn't even look like 'normal' wood. When cut it is a light to medium brown with a very aromatic scent that can't really be mistaken for anything else. Once it is exposed to sunlight it takes on green shades and continues to darken quite considerably.

Yea you're right it has a VERY distinct smell it smells like some sort of household cleaner or something lol
I like osage

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:26:15 am »
You can find this wood in board form, at least I have. It is very brittle, true. Nice to work with, and a distinctive scent when you work it. I used some recently in a little late Roman crossbow project. The top surface of the tiller is made of lignum vitae. If you want small amounts for tip overlays or arrow strike plates, a retail store called Woodcraft carries it.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts