Author Topic: Bang!!!  (Read 3490 times)

Offline AH

Bang!!!
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:12:30 pm »
well, I'm not too surprised that it cracked.
this is the same bow from this post: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40369.0.html
it finally let go.
strange that after pulling it to 32" it had only 1.25" of set, then I pull it to 28 and BANG!!!!
the bottom limb goes flying god knows where and I'm looking away swearing  ;D

o well. It was an experiment.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Bang!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »
Sorry to see that. Did you have any backing of any kind?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
Did you tiller it to 32"? I guess, as you found out making a kid's bow to 24", you can draw it to 32", but not very many times. I'm just wondering why you did??
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:47:00 pm by adb »

Offline AH

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:40:55 pm »
Sorry to see that. Did you have any backing of any kind?
nope. Selfbow.

Offline AH

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:49:20 pm »
Did you tiller it to 32"? I guess, as you found out making a kid's bow to 24", you can draw it to 32", but not very many times. I'm just wondering why you did??
it was more of an experiment, I just wanted to push the limits of the wood. I actually tillered it to 28" although my goal was around 24" and found out I could draw it to 32"

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:11:33 pm »
Or did you find out a bow tillered to 28" will likely break pulling it to 32"?? I'm not following the logic of your experiment. One of the first things I learned about bow making was... don't overdraw it... it'll likely break. I believe you pushed past the limits of the wood.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:21:18 pm by adb »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »
That sucks, that was a sweet bow. I am wondering if the stiff levers/string angle aid a bit in lengthening the possible draw of a bow, I don't know. It was a sweet bow though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
Bummer :(
take the scraps and use to make a cup of tea and start drawing out the next one :)
A fully drawn bow is 9/10th broke. Bummer ya found the other 1/10th

Offline AH

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:14 pm »
Or did you find out a bow tillered to 28" will likely break pulling it to 32"?? I'm not following the logic of your experiment. One of the first things I learned about bow making was... don't overdraw it... it'll likely break. I believe you pushed past the limits of the wood.
Adb, of course I knew that overdrawing a bow would likely break it. >:( Perhaps "experiment" isn't the best word. There wasn't really much of a logical procedure that went into this bow, I was merely trying to bend it as far as possible, so you could say I was asking for it to blow up. After I reached 28 I simply stopped tillering and just pulled more, as I was surprised enough that it made it all the way to 28.  ;)
The Reason why I wanted 24 was that 24 is my younger sister's draw length, and after I got it to 32 she saw it and wanted the bow.  Then of course is when bows decide to blow up. :-[

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »

I hear ya.! I know I have still tons to learn, but I know one thing the the last 2 I broke because of pulling beyond the traget weight, tiiler was looking good, and very good grain. To much is to much.......she goes...BANG..!!!!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:45 pm »
I'm confused. Did you intend to break it?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:09 am »

He obviously did push past the limits I think he was lucky to get it drawn to 32 inchs even once
I like osage

Offline AH

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:27 am »
I'm confused. Did you intend to break it?
Basically.  :o

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 11:53:42 am »
I'm confused too. I have never set out with the intention of breaking a bow. Especially a functioning bow I intended to give to someone. What was the purpose of breaking it intentionally again???

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 01:12:13 pm »
I'm confused too. I have never set out with the intention of breaking a bow. Especially a functioning bow I intended to give to someone. What was the purpose of breaking it intentionally again???

Did ya forget what it was like to be young with no goals or ambition, and fly by the seat of your pants improvisational style?  :laugh: