Author Topic: birch bark backed mulberry bow  (Read 6907 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: birch bark backed mulberry bow
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 05:17:38 pm »
Nice lines to your bow there.The birch bark is a nice touch too.Shooting those forty pounders can help improve a persons' form.I should'nt talk though my form can suck at times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »
Greg, that is an all around beauty.  I like everything about it, especially that bend.  Too bad about the crack, but sounds like you whipped er back into shape. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 08:29:36 pm »
A big thanks again to all you guys for the responses. :)

@blackcoyote & Grady;  I soaked the bark for a couple days in water, glued it on with titebond III and wrapped with an ace bandage. I did
put a thin size coat of the glue on both surfaces the day before glue on. I pealed some of the inner bark off to try and get the outer bark
thin before glueing on and after glue was dry I hit it all with some medium steel wool which took off some layers of the top bark that were loose down to a sound bark surface. What remained is probably no thicker that grocery bag paper. Probably better ways to do it, don't know. This was my first attempt at it and it turned out OK
I have some left over and I'll do another in the future, also have some nice cherry bark from Carson at echo that I'm wanting to put on a bow real bad.  :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline autologus

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:01 pm »
Thanks for the info, I will try that with my cherry bark.  I got mine from Carson too really nice bark.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.