Author Topic: Moontree locust  (Read 7748 times)

Offline Woodbender

Re: Moontree locust
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 08:36:28 pm »
I use this handy jig someone on one of the forums put out there. Allows you to mark both sides at the same time. I found 45 degrees produces a pretty severe string angle at the nock and if I don't get the shoulders right, the loops want to pop over the sides. Made a shallower angle and that seems to work better for me. I mark the line, cut it with a razor saw, enlarge it with a triangle file, then move to a hack saw with an abrasive blade (for cutting PVC?) and then move to The round file. Then when I flip it, I hold the round file in the groove and use it to line up the saw when I start the other side.

[/URL]

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:38 pm »
They look better than mine :laugh:
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline DLH

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:18 pm »
Yes this is the nipple bow I thought about carving some details on the nipple if it turned out :laugh: that looks like a very handy tool you have there wood bender. Your bow is sweet ozzy I'm sure your nocks are much better. Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone.

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15:21 am »
Was gonna throw in with woodbender on the Jig idea. I made something similar a while back and its been helpful beyond belief!
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:54 am »
Come on already...string that thang up n yank her back ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »
Now you've got us all thinking..............I don't remember the "nipple" thing.  Daniel, you need to post a pic of the nipple.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:30 pm »
I seen a buildalong a while ago and I really liked how he did his tips. He measured down an equal distance on both tips, and drew two 45 degree angle lines on each side a few millimeters apart. Then he cut each line with a coping saw, and pried the middle loose with a chisel. Then he proceeded to use files like everyone else.

I have switched to this method on the last few bows, and it gives me good consistent results.

I'll try to find the thread and link it but I can't remember what it was called or who made it. Maybe somebody else can remember.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »
Now you've got us all thinking..............I don't remember the "nipple" thing.  Daniel, you need to post a pic of the nipple.
[/quote
put the ring in it first Daniel
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:46:00 am »
  I just file in the across grove down as far as I want the knock. From there I just file in the side groves and on around to and on the belly. I've never did any jigs or messureing. I might have to adjust the angle a little when I get to puting a string on when tillering. But I use'lly hit it right on.
 Heres knock pic's. of my trade bow. These are not finished just ruffed in.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 09:47:11 am »
  SORRY ABOUT THE SUCKIE PIC'S.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 10:40:15 am »
Come on already...string that thang up n yank her back ;)
Was that supposed to be a "nock nock" joke???   ::) :o ::) ;D

OneBow

Offline DLH

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:29 pm »
Heres my nipple Bill! If you ask nicely next time I see you I will let you rub the nipple at no charge :laugh:

I also finished filing the other nock too it looks much better to me its still not perfect but better for sure. I still need to sand all the sharp corners smooth and do a few more things. I have my rasps back now and will update my rasp sharpening thread as well.

I have been doing some reading on half pins and side nocks. I am considering them on my other locust bow. How narrow can I make my tips with half pins or side nocks? I have seen different things, I saw some half pins that were 3/8 and most of the side nocks are wider maybe to match the bow style they were making?

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
Jeez you could hang a coat on that bow lol
I like osage

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »
OH yea............I remember it now.  Those nocks look real good.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TRACY

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:25 pm »
Looking good on the nocks. You could use a piece of sand paper folded up in the grooves to smooth out the edges and get them exactly how you want them.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956