Author Topic: Hunting Heads (pics added)  (Read 1737 times)

Offline papoints

Hunting Heads (pics added)
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:57:30 am »
I have decided to make an entire set of hunting gear for the fall archery season and I want to use stone points.  I got myself a grain scale and started weighing some of my attempts and one of them came up at 43 grains.  This is far too light isn't it?  I guess I could make heavier arrows but more forward weight will make for better penetration- I think- and i was just wondering what you guys do.  Any advice on style, stone and sharpening methods would be greatly appreciated.  I will take some pictures and put them up later for critique because I really want to get this right.  Thanks so much!
Jason
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:49:02 pm by papoints »

Offline TRACY

Re: Hunting Heads
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:17 am »
I would stick with a triangular point 2-3" in length and 7/8"-1" at the base. These are just rough numbers to give you a reference. Make sure you're legal in your state with minimum lengths etc. there are a couple recent posts that show some good hunting points.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »
I agree with Tracy.  The triangular points are easy to haft to your arrow shaft and are some of the easier points to make.  For sure check your local laws for size info.  In Alabama our width has to be 1 1/8".  Dont think they stated a length though.  But it varies from state to state.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:28 pm »
hehehee so you could take a 1 1/8 x 1/2 flake and mount it sideways... then it would be a knife... :)

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
I personally hunt with mostly triangular points. They are easy to mount and then just wrap the shaft below the point about an inch and a half and it's good. Who cares if it comes off after making a hole. I've posted some pictures of a few in the last week or so.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline papoints

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:44:55 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have been checking out the points and that is sort of what inspired me try this out.  That and an interesting post I dug up from way back arguing the efficacy of stone points.  I think that the triangle is the way to go now I am wondering if side notches might inhibit penetration?  Mullet that coral point of yours seems like it would be deadly.  Now for some poor pictures of some shoddy work.   ;D

Offline David_Daugherty

Re: Hunting Heads (pics added)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »
Squirrelslinger, I might have to just try that one. Lol ???
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:03 pm »
Nice work

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 01:16:36 am »
I don't think your going to have a penetration issue with any of them.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:40:07 am »
Those points should kill with ease
I like osage

Offline papoints

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:13:10 am »
Thanks guys.  Thats what I wanted to hear from some people who have used them before.