Author Topic: Building a watercraft  (Read 2024 times)

Offline david w.

Building a watercraft
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:42:02 pm »
Hey PA! Long time since I've been around. Missed this place.  I'm looking to fish some backwaters of the Mississippi that I would need some sort of boat.  Being a broke college student I can't afford a canoe or kayak.  I was wondering if anyone had made  a simple watercraft.  I was thinking maybe a pontoon type boat with those big Culligan water containers for flotation?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

Re: Building a watercraft
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Plywood-Canoe  How about this?  Looks almost too easy
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:14 pm »
Google, Plywood Pirouge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »
I just finished a skin-on-frame, Greenland style qajaq.  (My 3rd Greenland qajaq and 4th SOF overall.)

Build and first launch video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37_vGzaPWTw

Some pics.

I generally followed Christopher Cunningham's, "Building the Greenland Kayak", but did a few things differently; skinning method a big one.  Materials cost is about that of the cheapest recreational kayak, but with your time, you end up with the Lamborghini of traditional kayaks.  I find that since they paddle so effortlessly, I can cover more water to focus on the hottest fishing spots.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54:06 pm »
Man, oh Man, that is gorgeous!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:31:09 am »
Great video.  I loved the different style of rolls you did.  I never mastered the stern roll.  I've whitewater kayaked since '78. I learned the eskimo sweep roll, then later the c to c.  I've even rolled a canoe in Class III water.  But, that stern completely evades me.

Beautiful boat.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:44 am »
Man, I've been drooling over your kayaks since you posted your first one a few years ago.  I think I've told you this before, but one day I am going to make one... just need to find the space and time.  That thing is a vision of beauty, I'm always envious when you post those pictures :)

Can I ask what the advantage is to doing the seam in the middle, vs. along one of the gunwales?  If I remember right, in Cunningham's book he mentioned stitching along the side?

Did you have a mortice machine for all those joints?  I need to find a cheap one somewhere, I can't imagine drilling and chiselling 50-some mortices...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:14 pm »
Hey PA! Long time since I've been around. Missed this place.  I'm looking to fish some backwaters of the Mississippi that I would need some sort of boat.  Being a broke college student I can't afford a canoe or kayak.  I was wondering if anyone had made  a simple watercraft.  I was thinking maybe a pontoon type boat with those big Culligan water containers for flotation?

A dugout canoe wouldn't cost anything except a lot of work but you can let a fire carve it out for you making a dug out canoe is something I plan on doing one of these days
I like osage

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:50 am »
Alpinbogen....that is just gorgeous  :o      I have been wanting to burn and scrape out a dugout, but I am not readily close enough to any waters to get any real enjoyment out of using it
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21:19 pm »
I suggest you google the Lumberyard Skiff.  Special project plans from Woodenboat to get you on the water with lumberyard dimensioned lumber and choices.   

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »
I bought a crappy canoe for $75. I sold a busted fiberglass one for $10. Look hard enough and don't be afraid to ask and cheap ones can be found. Or make a friend who has a canoe/boat.  Put an ad on craigslist.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:40 pm »
I was thinking about buying or building a kayak for myself, but just recently found out I can join the local canoe club for $50 for the season, and then have unlimited access to their canoes and kayaks.  The only downfall is that I can't book them (first come first served) and I can't take them on overnight trips, but for a beginner like me I think it's going to be a great way to try different types and sizes of kayaks before putting down a large chunk of cash on a good one, or investing a bunch of time to make one myself.  Also saves me having to find somewhere to store it, and I don't even have to travel with them if I don't want to.  I can just go down to the boathouse and be on the water.

Going to sign up later this evening, I can't wait to get on the water again! :)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:39 pm »
That's a beauty of a canoe!  8).

David- I've seen dozens of single sheet plywood plans for free on the Internet.  Should be an easy project. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA