Author Topic: board,bow,boom!  (Read 3604 times)

Offline bushboy

board,bow,boom!
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:51 pm »
Had a couple of days off so I set out to find out what a maple board with fairly bad run off could take.62"ttt,2-3/16 @ the fades,pyramid style. The limbs both had 3/4 of set after tillering.not so bad cuz the board had a bit of natural deflex to start.sanded out my edges really good and was quite heavy @ bout mid to high 60's and shot fast and flat for about 60 arrows.I unbraced to check for the set and both limbs where at 1-1/32(never heat treated the belly).I went to brace it. Using the step thru method and hear a tunk! Sounded like the string slipping to the nock not a tick as norm.I now queation my self if the bow my have survived if I used a stringer or the push/pull method ?I personally think I t was doomed to fail because it was so heavy,maybe 45/50# would have held up?the brace and tiller looked really good to my eyes ,but that don't mean much!I stopped preaching bout eye safety cuz MOST of us are adults here,and that not coolaid on the bow!lol! Your thoughts.thanks bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: board,bow,boom!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »
Meant to mention the bow failed catostrophiclly at full draw!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:13:56 pm »
Meant to mention the bow failed catostrophiclly at full draw!
At least it didn't explode :o
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »
At slinger,yeah it did !lol!

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:35:22 pm »
I mean KA-BOOM and put splinters into the ceiling, knock you out with a part of the bow, and punch a hole in the wall in front of you with the other part. Never happened to me... yet. I wonder if its ever happened to anyone on here?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:43 pm »
I mean KA-BOOM and put splinters into the ceiling, knock you out with a part of the bow, and punch a hole in the wall in front of you with the other part. Never happened to me... yet. I wonder if its ever happened to anyone on here?

I had one explode on the tillering tree. The string kept ahold of the top six inches of the limb and boomeranged it back at me. Hit me in the head hard enough to make it hurt for a few days after. I have a cable/pulley system now.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:26:37 pm »
Bottom limb snapping mid-way, tip end whipping out and rebounding like the loose end of a nun-chuck and whacking a guy between the legs, driving him to his knees while the upper limb goes grenade and leaves the ceiling tiles in the basement looking like they had an encounter with a yew porcupine?  Yeah, it happened...but not to ME.  Hehehe, not saying who it happened to, either. 

Tough break, bobbyjoe.  Keep on keeping on, brother.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:17:04 am »
I live for the wood spring experiment,this one smacked me in the face and drew blood!it's all good!thx's boobby joe ! It's all good !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:40 am »
Looks like an edge grain run off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:59:06 am »
Looks like an edge grain run off.
+1
I also have fun making a quick cruddy sapling bow out of scrap locust limbs and then having fun shooting it... once they dry out they break. once I broke one... I found it was very fun.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:52 am »
Sorry about the break, last picture looks like it blew at the fad cut in,is that correct ? If so they will almost always break there if the bend into the fad /handle area. TSS I have broken a lot of bows and I can honestly say I have never found it very fun. :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:33:47 am »
Yay pappy, I try to keep the bend out of the fade area,I thought it started at the little grain wiggle on the outer limb than ran all the way to the fade,but it happens pretty fast and I've been wrong before:-).

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:16 am »
Sorry about the break, last picture looks like it blew at the fad cut in,is that correct ? If so they will almost always break there if the bend into the fad /handle area. TSS I have broken a lot of bows and I can honestly say I have never found it very fun. :-\
   Pappy
I mean quicky low weight bows... they just fold.
It gets amusing.
And addicting.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
Any bow,not amusing to me and sure not addicting. Each their own,you have fun. ;) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »
I once, just once, tried to make a bow with ornamental arborvitae... that tall shrub that folks grow in their yards. Hey, it smelled like cedar, what did I know? I had it fully tillered, it was 45# @ 28". I left it in the drying box for a few days and then strung it to go to the bales to begin shooting it in. It felt light as a feather. I drew it once in the shop after I strung it and BANG at full draw. It sounded like a shotgun going off. All that was left was about 14" of the handle section in my bow hand, the string was laying over my shoulder with a small piece of the limb tip hanging behind my back by the upper string loop,, and the rest was scattered like shrapnel across my shop. I never did find all the pieces. I was not injured.

I also once overdried the most beautiful yew bow I'd ever made, and the bottom limb expoded as I tried to string it with the push pull method. Again, no injuries. That one bothered me.... still does. To this day, was one of my best. Valuable lessons learned the hard way.

The only other bow I had break was a character osage bow with a knothole in the top limb. It was shot in, done. A buddy drew it fast one early winter morning in single digit temperature, and she said 'tick'... firewood. Cracked at the knot.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer