Author Topic: Questions for bow building  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Questions for bow building
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:43 pm »
Hello All, I have a question or a couple of questions:  do any of you use a bandsaw to help trim your bow and what size saw do you suggest?  Would a 10" saw do the trick?  Any thing over that is pretty expensive.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Questions for bow building
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:22:07 pm »
Hello All, I have a question or a couple of questions:  do any of you use a bandsaw to help trim your bow and what size saw do you suggest?  Would a 10" saw do the trick?  Any thing over that is pretty expensive.  Thanks in advance.

I rough out my bows with a hatchet don't need a bandsaw
I like osage

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »
Cool cause I can afford a hatch.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:09 am »
Lots of people use them - lots of people don't.  Bows can definitely can be made without them.  A bandsaw does make things go a little faster.  As far as which one and how big - most guys will tell you bigger is better, get the best you can afford when you decide to buy.  Generally speaking, at least a 1 hp and 14" IMO.  But as already said a hatchet will do. ;D
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:13:08 am »
I have a 14" Grizzly and to be honest while it is great to have and I use it a lot for various things you could do just as well with a hatchet, draw knife and some good rasps.  A good rasp or two is far more useful than the band saw for bow building.  The higher quality rasp you can afford the better and get different cuts from fine to coarse, you will appreciate them more than the band saw.  I have a Dean Torges UBR 10 and I like it a lot, I have to admit I have been eyeing the Shintos and will probably add one to my collection.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
If you plan on making just a few bows a horse shoe rasp, draw knife and hatchet will fill the bill for roughing out bows. If you find you are becoming a bow making addict like the rest of us, invest in a band saw, at least 14" and the more HP the better starting with a minimum of 1hp.

You can pick up some really great deals on band saws off Craig's list. I checked once for a friend in MS and found about a dozen within about 100 miles of his area, many in the $75 to $100 price range. The older American made Craftsman saws can be had for around $75 and are perfect saws for a beginner. They are 1/2hp but will cut anything you need to with a good sharp blade. 

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
Unless you are planning on making a lot of bows in a short time the band saw isn't necessary.
I purchased a new Grizzly 14" 1 HP last year and although it is a fine piece of equipment I use it very little for bow building.
In my particular case the funds ( almost $600 ) would have been better spent on quality staves and a few top of the line used hand tools. Of course that is JMO.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:19 am »
Hatchet. Works soooo well... just hatchet to just outside what you think, plane down.
Hatchet and hand plane are all I need. Everything else just makes life easier.,
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:14:32 am »
One more thing; I cut my own osage and cringe at the thought of leaving any usable part of the trunk behind. Consequently I salvage a lot of billet length osage when I cut a tree. At least 1/3 of all the bows I have made have been made with spliced billets.

If you are cutting your own wood and want to maximize your available stave collection with spliced billets, a band saw is a must in my opinion.

Yep, I have a lot of osage billets, this is about half of them.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:31:05 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline swimbill

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:01 pm »
A bandsaw is great it allows you to mess up your bow alot faster  :D.  Just kidding, they are very helpful but not needed.  If you have your heart set on one, get the best you can afford even if it means waiting a little while.  If you dont you will probably be buying another in a few years.  One of the best uses for a bandsaw is resawing so the bigger you get the larger pieces you can resaw. JMO
Swimbill

Offline Marcsman

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:13 pm »
I have a 10" Rikon band saw and it works amazingly.  It was just under $250 as well and blades are only $14 to replace.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:46:27 pm »
A bandsaw is useful for making laminations, splices or hogging off wood fast. But if you are making strictly self-bows it is not necessary.
Gordon

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:28 pm »
Methinks power tools are a pain in the butt.
One exception- electric drill.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"