Author Topic: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)  (Read 20334 times)

Offline Raptard

Re: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »
now, i need more seasoned advice, do you think this bend is too much? i haven't tried stinging it yet (just steamed it yeasterday) but it seems like when I do string it, it will be way to bent as a whole to be able to have a very long draw at all.
if that makes any sense.
Don't Panic

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2013, 08:52:10 pm »
now, i need more seasoned advice, do you think this bend is too much? i haven't tried stinging it yet (just steamed it yeasterday) but it seems like when I do string it, it will be way to bent as a whole to be able to have a very long draw at all.
if that makes any sense.

Should be able to get same draw but your tillers probably gonna be off when you string it
I like osage

Offline Raptard

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:32 pm »
ok, because i was thinking that my string is going to have to be ALOT shorter, like i had it 3-4" shorter than the straight bow, but this is going to have to be alot shorter for a brace height high enough to clear the bends.
Don't Panic

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »
ok, because i was thinking that my string is going to have to be ALOT shorter, like i had it 3-4" shorter than the straight bow, but this is going to have to be alot shorter for a brace height high enough to clear the bends.

No no you don't need to shorten your string if it touches the limbs at brace height.. that's fine
I like osage

Offline Raptard

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
ok, i think i'll test string it tomorrow
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »
ok, well i stung it an i found out theres a problem.... the string on the left limb slips off the wood and goes forward
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 12:18:43 pm »
well, looks like i have MORE bending to do  :P
Don't Panic

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »
Do you mean when you try to string it it try's to flip around ???
I like osage

Offline Raptard

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:43 pm »
yae, like it flips from the belly to the back, i drew a line in the pic to show how the string goes, and it  touches the bends on both limbs but it is being pushed against them and slides around that limb and goes forward, i will get a pic.
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:59 pm »
here it is.
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:44 pm »
ok, before i do this, can you "over steam" a bow? like if bend it to many times, could i ruin it? because if so, i'm just going to attach a little peice of wood to it or something to catch the string.
Don't Panic

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2013, 07:10:34 am »
A bow with that much reflex, cannot be low braced. You can only floor tiller it, and then jump right to a full brace height of 6" or so. But even then, you run a chance of the bow flipping backwards. That's just because you put in a lot of reflex. Personally, I hate to deal with more than 2" of reflex. String bridges will only help so much, in these situations.

The left limb appears to have less reflex (recurve, almost) than the right limb. Not ideal.

Yes, you can steam bend a piece of wood several times without ill effects. Avoid heating the wood more than necessary, but five heat bending sessions should not hurt the bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:51 am »
you really need to take your time tillering that one. not a very easy design to learn on

Offline Raptard

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »
ok, well im going to let it rest for a couple days, just o make sure it dont screw up the bend again, and then i will start tillering.
in the mean time, i have to make my father something for fathers day that isn't a bow because i can't make a bow in a week :-\
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »
ok, i just got an old bowstring + arrow making set from a relative who apparently used to own a bow-shop :o anyway, i was wondering what kind of string i should make
http://digital.cs.usu.edu/~watson/artemisiaca/bowstringhowto.htm
or
http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

the first seems much more simple, but i was wondering if one was "superior" to the other.
also, i haven't been on lately because i have been taking a break from my bow before i go back to tillering it :P
Don't Panic