Author Topic: Quiver styles?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Quiver styles?
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:53 pm »
I have a bamboo tube I need to finish out as a quiver.   How do you guys rig those?  What is most comfortable for general purpose?  Back, side, or hip? 

I consider cutting an access hole in it also. 

Pics of how your favorite quiver is rigged please.

Offline autologus

Re: Quiver styles?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:22:19 pm »
I would probably rig it similar to a plains quiver and hang it to the side that would give you quick access to the arrows with as little movement as possible when stalking prey.  You may need to line it with something to quieten it down so that the arrows don't rattle in it.

I have a big ol' 24" rawhide dog bone I am going to make into a quiver, anyone know the best way to stain it so that it isn't bright white?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »
We have a few Yucca plant tube quivers (Thanks Sal!). They're our preferred range quivers. They have a simple leather strap and we wear them as back quivers. Since the bottom was open, they were capped off with criss cross strips of rawhide, but you could just leave a node in the bottom. Drill a couple holes about an inch apart near the top and bottom to thread some lacing through. A piece of thin wire curved around can get you through the holes, since the bottom will be closed off.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:16 pm »
Don't have a pic of mine... But found this doing a seach for bamboo quivers
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »
Here is one I made for a youngster. The pics aren't too good. Sorry!

Here is one closer up, before I put the strap on.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:46:47 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:14:17 am »
I really like those quivers, have anyone made one from rawhide?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:14:37 pm »
thanks guys.  Stoker.  How did you cut that slot? 

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »
I left the node in the bottom and supported it by pouring in some bondo and hardener and letting it dry upside down. The nodes are so thin the arrows would have gone right through with a sharp field point.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »
thanks guys.  Stoker.  How did you cut that slot?
Probably with a scroll saw(bad idea) or coping saw(good idea). a fine scroll saw blade won't split bamboo in my experiance.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
Grady....Yes I have.Works great.Cat,hip,& pocket quivers.I've used cowhide for that.Dried it is at least 1/16" thick.Posted in the primitive skills section.I'm getting around to getting pictures posted here finally.Got some gliches to work out sending them yet but will work it out soon.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:23 pm »
Stoker- what kind of rope is that?  is that knot adjustable? 

I like that design in general but the adjustability meshes well with my aversion to long term committment and taste for variety.   >:D

I could switch betwen back, side, sling  and hop quiver...!

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:27 pm »

I have a big ol' 24" rawhide dog bone I am going to make into a quiver, anyone know the best way to stain it so that it isn't bright white?

Grady

Feibings dyes will stain rawhide quite well, though getting an even coat on rawhide might be a bit difficult.  You will want to waterproof it with something afterwards. I used beeswax over Feibing on a bullet pouch for my flintlock, and it worked very well - the unevenness of the coloring added to the charm in my opinion.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:51 pm »
Iv never seen a scroll saw with a large enough mouth to accomodate that.  It might have been cut with a jigsaw or most likely just a handsaw of some kind.  You could also use a rotary tool like a dremel.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:51 am »
Here's some rawhide quivers Grady.Cat,hip,and pocket.Finally able to send pictures.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed