Author Topic: need inspiration for a kids bow.  (Read 9196 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: need inspiration for a kids bow.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »
  "...I was trying to make myself look better than I actually was..."
Be yourself! If you have to try to be better than you actually are I'd say that PA is not the place for you. There are lots of good folks here that want to help anyone, ANYONE that wants to learn. Your skill level makes no difference. All we ask is that you try...and that you be respectful...and honest.
  I have not replied to any of your posts. I saw the light early on and don't have time for your nonsince. If you can get serious about PA then PA will get serious about you. If not, you're out of here. This is nt a threat. It is, however a promise. Its up to you!!!

Pat

ps. please send me a PM with any other user names you might have so I can delete them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »
Wow!  Are you also squirrelslinger?  Honest answer please.

As for kids bows, in addition to what has been said already, I like to include an arrow shelf and a nock point, both a bit oversized.  This helps youngsters get and arrow nocked and keep it nocked.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
I agree with you Blackhawk, but he's gonna have to earn his way back, my dad always told me the last perfect man was crucified so we all have faults, but trust is earned, not given, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:05 pm »
trust can only be earned by allowing opportunities for it, I agree that the only way out of the 10 mile pit you've dug yourself is to take all help and advice and be humble and gracious of all help you receive, things WILL get better if you truly desire to better yourself and take action to improve your behavior. From now on I would ask that you at least think about how each and every post effects others, and what your post will do to keep yourself honest and humble. The key here is humble, if you are exactly who you are, you're being honest. If you're lying then your not being honest and you're not yourself... lying is not a part of humans that is natural. I hope you will take everything to heart that I've said, as well as Chris, He has been VERY kind by not ranting and chewing you out, he's given you advice, take it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »

I thought someone might bring that up.  No im not squirrelslinger.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »
Scam? No. I was trying to make myself look better than I actually was. I had no intention of scamming anyone.
Squirrel, that is a scam, my friend.
BTW, for a kids bow-
overbuild it-(young) kids are very rough on bows... learned that myself...
Make it from a hard, strong, durable wood- locust, osage, hickory, etc.
Bendy handle.
Not super wide limbs, but wide enough- for a locust shortie, maybe 1 1/2.
make it pretty  but simple.
Make some nice arrows to go with it.
20"draw is usually more than enough... for a young kid.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Roy

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
Kids bow, 48 inch tip to tip, 14# @ 15 inches, little deflex/reflex. Osage backed with Hickory. I made this bow for the Saint Jude's auction.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:51:02 pm by Roy »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:51 pm »

As for kids bows, in addition to what has been said already, I like to include an arrow shelf and a nock point, both a bit oversized.  This helps youngsters get and arrow nocked and keep it nocked.
Nope, but squirrelslayer offered to trade me some sinew for my red oak longbow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline John D

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 06:42:16 pm »
I posted this a little while ago:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33629.msg443533.html#msg443533
22 lbs at 22"  and there's pics of a couple more.

I've done some more since then and I'll try to get some pics up tonight.  All are board bows up to this point; hickory and maple have worked out well for me (Boise is desert; so hickory loves it here)

Also, lots of folks chipped in on a similar post: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37738.msg499781.html#msg499781

I heartily agree on the arrow shelf and backing comments.  Keep the kiddos safe. 

Hope it goes well for you. 

John D.

Boise

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »

Or are you perhaps blackhawk?????? >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
Lol!  Or are you Soy!? ???  Oh Hell!  Am I me? :o. I'm so confused! >:D. Lol!  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:26 pm »
who's on first and where Am I ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 10:24:56 pm »
The SS saga will never end, we've been through these same threads how many times now? Yet he continues to deal out his crap and play his little games. I say he straightens out or get's banned!

Offline dmc

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:47 pm »
So is it just pure coincidence that squirellslayer just made the same statement of going to be making a kids bow for a friends daughter of hickory? And that squirellslayer and bow doc are the same person on leather wall ..."you"(squirellslayer) sent me a pm yest saying that you are not bow doc on here but you are on leather wall as well as squirellslayer...and that all of the handles were created around the same time? And that bow doc on here signed off with a thread once with an "SS" like squirellslayer does.....and is it just coincidence that the majority of bow docs posts are commenting on squirellslayers threads...and with all the "past reputation" of squirellslayers tall tales and fibs I don't believe him because its like the story of the kid who cried wolf...he's lied so many times that I don't believe anything he says even if it is the truth.....I'm calling you out in the wide open kid...its time to man up and fess up to more lies...tell the truth squirelly...

And onto the bow...do you know her draw length?..what's her age? A simple stiff handled straight bow will prob be best and work fine for your stats you listed...I'd go 1 3/8" wide out of the handle till mid limb then taper to half inch tips...

I was boycotting SS posts but I am grabbing some popcorn for this show!

Holy poop, I didn't see that one coming! This thread could be moved to "Opening can of Worms" section.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
Do something.  Make something.  Finish something.  Accomplish something.  Sweat it out.  Sacrifice.  Bleed a little.  Give it away.  Then help another.  You may trick others into liking you for a while by faking all of these things, but character is not in what others think of what you do, but in what you think of what you do.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.