Author Topic: Are there toxic chemicals in feather grinding?  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Are there toxic chemicals in feather grinding?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
Squirrelly - it's the microscopic stuff that gets you.  Just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there.  I try to do most of my sanding and grinding outdoors if possible, with a breeze in my face.  Why take the risk?  The symptoms don't always appear right away, and a lot of times by the time they do, the damage is already done.
Well... I never grind with the garage door closed...

And I don't grind often. I am going to edit my setup. Does grinding steel create microscopic dust? I mean I know it does, but how much?
Can a mask prevent it or do I need to put a fan on one end?

The problem is, it's cumulative.  microscopic metal filings or feather dust or even wood dust, once it's in your lungs, stays there for the rest of your life.  There's no way to get it out.

Any time you're grinding anything, wear a mask and have your space well ventilated.  That means a door open and a fan blowing across your work station at least. Best case is do it outside with a fan going.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Adam

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:29 pm »
Stringstretcher - I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and truely appreciate the warnings.  I had no idea about some of these hazards and I'm absolutely going to be more careful in the future.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 07:05:30 pm »
Thanks Adam.  I am just trying to stress that once you get it and it affects you health wise, there is no going back, period.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:25 pm »
Thanks Adam.  I am just trying to stress that once you get it and it affects you health wise, there is no going back, period.
Ouch. I spent 15 years shoeing horses breathing burnt hoof and metal grindings off of horse shoes.
Hope you can get back to better health.
Greg

Offline ga6693

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:47 pm »
There is also exposure from a respiratory fungal infection called histoplasmosis. Dust from untreated feathers from birds that have been raised in a confined area, particularly poultry such as turkeys or chickens, can transmit this fungus to humans. Most of the time it only causes symptoms associated with the flu or pneumonia, but it also can cause serious heath problems it gets into your bloodstream. Fortunately, it is treatable with drugs, but trust me you don't want to go down this road.

Stringstretcher, I truly am sorry to hear about your health problems  and I can only hope that everyone on this forum will act on your advise.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 12:33:24 am »
Can't think of a better reason to strip my feathers rather than grinding!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »
A super sharp hand plane works quite well and makes small shavings that don't fly so much.  And it is quiet.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 04:26:27 pm »
A super sharp hand plane works quite well and makes small shavings that don't fly so much.  And it is quiet.
One can also use a spokeshave... the exacto kind.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:25 pm »
Last nite I stripped two dozen turkey wing feathers for a project.  Several of 'em went a little rough and ended up pulling up lotsa that "styrofoam" stuff.  I clamped them into the jig I use for grinding and set them in my bench vice one at a time.  I then addressed the bottoms with my Nicholson 4-in-1 rasp, using the fine flat side.  Took the troubled ones down to nothing in no time flat.  I also experimented with scraping the foam stuff with a sharp blade and it worked pretty bloody good, too!

Yeehaw, no more grinding EVER!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.