Author Topic: Snakeskins and brace height  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakeskins and brace height
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »
Cint, on sinew backed bows I give it lots of time to dry. I used hide glue onthe last few I made.
 I had an osage selfbow get real mushy on me after adding skins with TBIII. After a week I strung her and she still felt mushy so I weight her and she was 10# down. After another week she was back up to snuff and shooting well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:43 pm »
Thanks for all of the help and advice guys!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »
Why add a quarter inch after achieving good flight?
I find that after shooting a dozen times the brace becomes about 1/4 lower. The bow settles a bit after it has been shot a few times. The bow I am currently shooting the most has a draw weight of 53.50 lbs at my draw. After shooting for half hour it goes down to 53.20.

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »
Your draw weight is not dropping as a result of changing brace height. It's dropping as a result of string follow. Also, even with an accurate hanging dial scale, I'm not likely to be able to register a draw weight change of 0.3#.

Yes, with Dacron strings, they will stretch a bit, and require some time to settle in.