Author Topic: Snakeskins and brace height  (Read 4254 times)

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
Snakeskins and brace height
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »
How long should I wait to shoot my bow after applying snakeskins to it? And what would be a good brace height for a 58 in bow?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Snakeskins and brace height
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:46:28 pm »
How long should I wait to shoot my bow after applying snakeskins to it? And what would be a good brace height for a 58 in bow?
Whatever is comfortable for you (in brace height). My longbow is braced at 6" at the handle.
but your bow is shorter.. maybe 5 in? How long is your draw?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »
It depends on how humid it is where you live. This winter I waited 7 days with humidity at 30%.  For a 58" bow I would start at 5 inches brace and twist the string and shoot till you get good arrow flight. Once you get good flight increase the brace by 1/4 inch and that should do it. Ya wanna shoot about 300 arrows out of it after final tiller before you call it final brace. With my 66 inch bows I start at 5.50 brace. They usually get good flight with 6.25 of brace.
Hope it helps
Greg

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:11:33 pm »
My bows have the same brace height, regardless of length.

I glue my SSs down with TB3, so they're good to go O/N.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:18:05 pm »
My bows have the same brace height, regardless of length.

I glue my SSs down with TB3, so they're good to go O/N.
that is intresting. I haven't made but 7 bows. One was 50 and it liked a brace of 5 in, a 60 in one that liked a brace of 5.50 and the others work good around 6.25- 6.50.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:57 am »
I would wait two or three days, I normally keep my brace height just high enough that I don't get wrist slap, for me it ranges from fistmele to fistmele -1"
I like free stuff.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:29:34 am »
Not trying to start a hijack but while on the topic of brace hight im making a kids bow for a 10yr old the bow will be 20#@20" (hopefully) my question is do I lower the brace to around 4-5" or just keep it at 6" the bow is going to be 50" long. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 06:55:35 am »
Everyone ignore my above post.  Thanks muffin. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:29:30 am »
I also brace all of mine about the same 5 1/2 to 6. I pat my skins dry before applying them and also use TB3 ,so a day or so in a dry area,summer time by the ac duct,winter close to a heater and they seem to do fine for me,rawhide I may wait a little longer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:26 am »
  I to brace my bows all the same. I use 5 1/2 feathers. My brace height starts with them touching. I go from there to find the sweet spot. Which has always been very closely by.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »
What I do is wait a good week if snake skins are on the back of a self bow.I wait at least 10 days or more for a snake skin on the back of a sinewed bow.That's with TT3 glue.Like was said earlier check your humidity meter.
Brace I judge by the lowest I can get it without affecting arrow flight.Like twisted hickory said then 1/4" above that.That usually always puts my brace at around 5and1/2" most times from the belly of handle that means with a 1and1/2" deep handle it should be 7" to back on handle.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:28:37 am »
Why add a quarter inch after achieving good flight?
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »
I find shorter bows prefer shorter bracing and longer bows like a bit more brace. Most all of my bows fall in the 5 3/8 - 5 7/8" range.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:31 pm »
I generally set brace height at my fist mele or at least so the fletchings clear.
  I've had to wait over a week after using TB glue to glue down skins because of the moisture it adds to the wood. If the humidity is high you may have to wait a few extra days.  Recently I have been adding a thin coat of TBIII to the bow back, let it dry completely then add the skins. The thin layer of TBIII acts like a vapor barrier so the dry time wait is about 24 hours now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »
Glad to hear that pat.  I did that to the bow I skinned last night.  I'm going to give it plenty of time to dry anyway.  I don't want to seal any moisture in with a sinew backing
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left