Author Topic: whats a good screw on broad head  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Newindian

whats a good screw on broad head
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:52:35 pm »
I've yet to transition to all primitive arrows all I have at the moment are my three blade muzzeys left over from the compound days, which I'm not sure would be best for a primitive bow.
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: whats a good screw on broad head
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:41:11 am »
Wensal Woodsman.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:42 am »
Most any of the glue on heads that you would use on wood /cain/shoot shafts will work,just need an insert to go in them and turn them into a screw on.I like Ace/Mangus/  2 blade heads.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:14 am »
Sharp, sharp, sharp. Any and all of them will kill deer or critters. Ive tried maybe 8-10 of them and they all work fine. Use your judgement regarding 2 or 3 blade styles. If your shooting a bow under 50# lean toward 2 blades, #50 plus is good for either type. Just make them sharp and hit the lungs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:31:30 am »
My magnus stingers are really sharp and easy to resharpen. I haven't tried the buzzcuts but they are more serrated and I wouldn't think you could resharpen them easily on your own. I'm still working on my selfbow but I put a doe down last year with my compound in under 20 yds. Nice clean cut. Like Pearl said, all of em will kill. Keep em sharp and good shot placement is what matters. When buying a broadhead for my wifes compound the guy from bass pro suggested a 2 blade, cut on contact because of her lower poundage. Seems like that would transfer over to primitive bows as well. I have always loved my muzzys (4 blade and 3 blade) but they always seemed inconsistent on sharpness out of the package. One pack would be razor sharp and the next dull.