Author Topic: Sinew wrap on bow?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline JEB

Sinew wrap on bow?
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »
Guess the heading says it.  I want to wrap a spot on a limb of a hop hornbeam bow.  The bow has a wipe on poly finish on it. Should I remove the finish in the spot?  What procedure would you bow makers recommend for me to wrap it.  I used to make custom fishing rods so I know how to wrap a guide.  Would I wrap the spot like that, nice, even and neat and how many layers of wrap should I put on the limb.  I also want to wrap the other limb  to match.

What glue should I use?

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Sinew wrap on bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:34:55 pm »
I think you should remove the finish, as generally hide glue(what you usually use with sinew) doesn't adhere to finishes.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »
Sinew wraps are ok if ya wanna keep it real primitive( To late if ya put on a modern finish)But imo the best thing to use as a patch is white un -flavored dental floss soaked in super glue..Just rough up the finish with some 320 grit sand paper wrap er real tight and even...then soak er down with super glue till she won't hold no more...little tip to....: after you apply the wrap, if ya rub the wrap real well with your thumb to kinda set the floss,the finished wrap with the glue applied is almost see through...You almost can't see it from a couple feet way....
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:00 am »
Another option, is Rod winding thread. I've used it in the past - comes in some WAY cool colors. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:13:05 am »
I have done a bunch of sinew wraps in the past, always removed the finish and roughed up the wood so the glue would stick better. My sinew wraps tended to be ugly.

I use super glue soaked nylon serving thread now, even put it on with a string server to make the wrap very neat. I remove the finish when I put one of these on as well.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:19:10 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:09:32 pm »
I apply sinew wraps directly to the wood, roughened up with 100 or 15o sandpaper, then sized with hide glue, then wrapped.  I apply a couple extra coats of hidel glue to the wrap after it initially dries. Then it gets light sanding and the same finish treatment the rest of the bow gets.   

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso