Author Topic: Alumnium as a sub for copper?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Alumnium as a sub for copper?
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
Well, can I use alumnium as a substitute for copper in pressure flaking tools?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline TRACY

Re: Alumnium as a sub for copper?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:06 pm »
If it's all you got, try it. Antler or copper would be my choice. Ground(copper) wire #4 at hardware store can be twisted and filed like the tip of a nail relatively cheap and inserted into a large dowel.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:50 am »
I know someone that has used an aluminum alloy to knap that he got from CAT when he use to work for them. They wouldn't tell him what the alloy was but he said it knapped in between copper and antler. That is someone else experience not mine so take it for what it's worth who knows what the aluminum was alloyed with either.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:18 am »
Some people use aluminum gutter nails with apparent success.  They aren't all that expensive and are easier to come by than copper rod.  Copper ground wire works well but, as suggested, should be twisted, which both hardens and straightens it.  You won't know whether you like aluminum over copper until you've used both, so if aluminum is readily available grab some and give it a try.  There are those who swear by solid aluminum boppers, as well, but I don't care for them due to the reduced weight.  They are cheaper than solid copper, though.

Offline papoints

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:05:19 am »
I used aluminum nails to pressure flake before.  They worked well enough but they lost their tip very quickly and required lots of frequent filing to keep them sharp.