Author Topic: My First Bow Posting :P  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

My First Bow Posting :P
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
Here it is :P
A red oak ELB style longbow, nuthin special, about 1 3/4 inch set.
 I am guessing around #80@28". 67" NTN, bends in the handle, jute bowstring. I don't have a sort of scale to measure.
Other one- an elm I am working on. I need to sand it a bit, finish the tiller, then coat it with varnish. And it needs a jute bowstring.

Here is the elm, unfinished and I didn't even take the bark off.

-Squirrel
BTW I don't have anyone to hold the camera, don't really know how to use my camera anyway, so I just used a draw board- a 28" of white pine.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ifrit617

Re: My First Bow Posting :P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:56:13 pm »
Both look pretty decent. I know I've been a critic of some of your posts and it's nice to see some of your work. I doubt that top one is anywhere near 80#, but it seems like a decent bow. Maybe you can use a bathroom sale to get an idea of what it is pulling. I like the bowstring!

Jon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »
Not bad but there's no way that bow is pulling 80 pounds I've tryed jute on a forty pound bow it breaks after a few shots and 80 pounds it would break just being braced
I like osage

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:13:51 pm »
Not bad but there's no way that bow is pulling 80 pounds I've tryed jute on a forty pound bow it breaks after a few shots and 80 pounds it would break just being braced
That string is quite thick. I cannot nock a normal arrow on it. It is about 3/8ths thick. I also cannot draw it past 22", and I can full draw a 60#@28 bow.
I know its over #65.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »

I've had Jutte break while the bow was braced standing against the wall, it was 50#.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:40:54 pm »
WAHOOO!!!!!

Major props on finishing a bow.  Seriously, I would buy you a slice of pie if I was there and that's not sarcastic.
Shoot that oak, take some pics, promise a parent/guardian some extra chore work so they will snap a full draw pic for you.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:42:23 pm »
That string is quite thick. I cannot nock a normal arrow on it. It is about 3/8ths thick. I also cannot draw it past 22", and I can full draw a 60#@28 bow.
I know its over #65.

That I'll believe when I see it on a scale. But ether way, congrats on a shooter.

Jon

Offline AH

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
looks like pretty decentl bows to me!    8)
concerning that red oak...it looks like to me it's bending a tad too much in the center, but then it's probably just me.
I also am sort of doubtful that it's 80 pounds. I have made tons of these sorts of red-oak board ELB things, and I have never had one come in at 80 pounds. The heaviest I got was 50 pounds--and on this bow is full thickness of the original board in the handle (3/4")
it's 72" nock to nock, though, but I don't think piking it down to 67" would raise the weight all the way to 80. :-\
It's sort of hard to see, but it looks like to me that you could really reduce some mass down on the tips...just my two cents. I remember my first few bows had real thick tips and pretty mediocre cast, but they seemed pretty wonderful to me at the time.
I hope that thick string is only your tillering string  ;D

here's my 50-pounder

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »
looks like pretty decentl bows to me!    8)
concerning that red oak...it looks like to me it's bending a tad too much in the center, but then it's probably just me.
I also am sort of doubtful that it's 80 pounds. I have made tons of these sorts of red-oak board ELB things, and I have never had one come in at 80 pounds. The heaviest I got was 50 pounds--and on this bow is full thickness of the original board in the handle (3/4")
it's 72" nock to nock, though, but I don't think piking it down to 67" would raise the weight all the way to 80. :-\
It's sort of hard to see, but it looks like to me that you could really reduce some mass down on the tips...just my two cents. I remember my first few bows had real thick tips and pretty mediocre cast, but they seemed pretty wonderful to me at the time.
I hope that thick string is only your tillering string  ;D

here's my 50-pounder
Nope, thats the real string. It is the thinnest string I have that can take the strain. I can actually tie it to a branch and hold on to it, putting all 130 pounds of me on it... and even swing from it.
I hand-twisted it from jute fiber painstakingly pulled and washed out of jute cord. I only took the fibers longer than 8".
It took about 150 feet of jute cord to get the fiber. less than half of the fibers are long enough.
As I said, @ 28 inches, it is probably close to #80. I don't have a scale that can measure it- fancy electronic bathroom scale stinks and the kitchen has a max of 2 pounds :o
This is 67"... 5 inches makes a difference. But I know its quite high, at least 70# cause I can only draw it to 22" and I can full draw a #65 bow 28"(my uncle has a #65 recurve, and I have shot a #60 longbow once)
Once I can measure it(I might hang weights from the bowstring) I will report the actual weight.

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:00:39 pm »
Great job , Id like to try making one like that seems like all mine turn int flat bows again great bow.
Hickorys what I Know best

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 11:30:59 am »
I measured it by tying some weights to the string with rope. 70 pounds pulls it to a little under 27", 75 pulls it to a  bit over 28".
It was a lot of work to measure.. tape yardstick to handle, then tie weight, then lift up...

I am proud of this one.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 02:14:35 pm »
Congratulations on your first one.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley