Author Topic: Secret to red oak bows  (Read 10678 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Secret to red oak bows
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »
<snip>That's why your having problems,your not using real bow wood...try some osage  ;)
I thought we'd all decided to switch to Poplar???... ;) :o ::)

OneBow

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »
I still can't wrap my mind around this trapping concept....in my mind it's only creating a crowned back??? I have read how it is suppose to work, but I am not sold on it. :)

VMB

Not sure if this is actually what is going on. But here is the way I wrap my mind around it.

When you draw a bow you feel a single resistance force. That force is made up of two reaction forces from the bow. The belly resists in compression and the back resists in tension, and they sum to the total resistance force.

The force you apply to a bow is evenly distributed throughout the back and the belly. But if a wood is tension strong, you need to apply a large force to overcome its tension resistance. Since the load you apply is balanced on the back and the belly, you need to apply that same high force on the belly. By doing this you are blasting right through its compression limits and causing set.

By trapping the back, you are reducing the force you need to apply to overcome the wood's tension resistance, bringing it closer to the wood's compression threshold. So now when you draw the bow, the compression and tension resistances are balanced and you are not overstressing one or the other.

blackhawk

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »
<snip>That's why your having problems,your not using real bow wood...try some osage  ;)
I thought we'd all decided to switch to Poplar???... ;) :o ::)

OneBow

Nope....just Ryan ;)

Offline hatcha

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »

Surely you mean trap the back, not trap the belly?  Ash is tension strong, not compression strong.  Trapping the back works excellently with ash, whereas rounding (essentially trapping) the belly into a D section for instance, causes set, chrysalling and sometimes breaks.

I do indeed stand corrected.  When reading the comments, I visualised a trapped belly - possibly because I plan on rawhiding the back and maybe it was mentally "off limits" to me.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39032.0.html

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »
Well... I might try this. Cool idea Jon!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"