Author Topic: Hickory bark for backing a bow?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline DuBois

Hickory bark for backing a bow?
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:16 am »
I got the bark off a 6" shagbark hickory and stripped it off mostly whole. The peice is near 8' long. Wrapped it with a couple of bungies to keep it rounded and thought I may make quivers from some of it. I have seen some bark quivers on here but not sure how it was done exactly. Any ideas?

Also have a few 3" down to nothing pieces about 4' long. Can I use these for a backing on a bow. I layed them over a tire lightly clamped together to give them a reflex.
Last year I peeled a smaller tree and the bark dried rock hard.
What you all think?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:19:13 am by DuBois »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Hickory bark uses
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
Quivers, heck yea. Take some cans(like canned food, about 4-5 in diameter) and roll the bark over a few.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Patches

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »
richardzane just posted some nice hickory bark quivers under the Primitive skills section under "Quivers-Preparing hickory bark". Maybe he can give you some suggestions.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:46 am »
Quivers, heck yea. Take some cans(like canned food, about 4-5 in diameter) and roll the bark over a few.

I like your enthusiasm. Thanks.
richardzane just posted some nice hickory bark quivers under the Primitive skills section under "Quivers-Preparing hickory bark". Maybe he can give you some suggestions.
Great, will check it out and thank you.