Author Topic: Secret to red oak bows  (Read 10688 times)

Offline Twokag

Re: Secret to red oak bows
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:36 am »
So for a pyramid bow, since it is thinner anyway, do you still round the back?  Would you make it more of a sword profile?  Full thickness in the center back, tapered to a thin edge, with a flat belly?  Almost a D profile in reverse?  Or with pyramid bow do you leave it as is, from what I have read that is the point of a pyramid bow, same thickness tip to fade.

For now I am just playing and making bows for fun.  They won't get a lot of shooting, but I would like them to work and to last a long time.  Resources and experience - lack of -  direct me to red oak pyramid bows for now.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 01:37:36 pm »
I just round the edge real good, not totally trapped
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:58 pm »
That's quite interesting indeed! 

Someone posted in another thread a while back that, for ash bows, it is better to trap the belly.

Interesting how the two woods contrast like that.

Surely you mean trap the back, not trap the belly?  Ash is tension strong, not compression strong.  Trapping the back works excellently with ash, whereas rounding (essentially trapping) the belly into a D section for instance, causes set, chrysalling and sometimes breaks.

I'm almost positive it was trap the belly to 50% the width of the back  :o

When I get a bit of time later I'll try find the post.  Think the title of the thread was something to do with "ash bow"... :-\

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? of coarse, they cant put anything on the internet that aint true >:D

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:20 pm »
Sounds good but I think the experiment is highly anecdotal. Never before this have I heard that red oak is so tension strong that it forces itself to take set. I've seen some very successfully trapped red oak board bows but I don't think it's a true solution to red oak bows taking set. I believe its more likely that the design or building technique was poor in the first place.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »
The actually amount of tension strength may not be so important is the relative tension strength to the resistance of the belly. Red oak bows that I've trapped also have taken less set than those I've not trapped.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Haven't y'all gotten the memo......YOU CANT MAKE A "BOW" FROM A BOARD!!! That's why your having problems,your not using real bow wood...try some osage  ;)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »
Haven't y'all gotten the memo......YOU CANT MAKE A "BOW" FROM A BOARD!!! That's why your having problems,your not using real bow wood...try some osage  ;)

Send some my way Chris and I'll pump one out.  ;)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »
I still can't wrap my mind around this trapping concept....in my mind it's only creating a crowned back??? I have read how it is suppose to work, but I am not sold on it. :)

VMB

Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »

As soon as ya send me out some primo straight clean 50rpi+ yew I will >:D

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
try it VMB go buy a board and try it and see if does anything vs a non trapped

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »

As soon as ya send me out some primo straight clean 50rpi+ yew I will >:D

You can put it on my tab  :P >:D ::)

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »

he's probably got plenty of kindling muffy >:D :laugh:

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 03:45:25 pm »

he's probably got plenty of kindling muffy >:D :laugh:

I know! he probably needs to do a bit of cleaning, i can definitely use some of that useless golden firewood.  >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
Sorry..but I got some bad news...just went thru my stash and didn't see any that had the name ionicmuffin written on any of them.... >:D

And wait till you guys see the "stave" I've been working on now...I'll give ya one hint...its red...lol :laugh:

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:14 pm »
Sorry..but I got some bad news...just went thru my stash and didn't see any that had the name ionicmuffin written on any of them.... >:D

And wait till you guys see the "stave" I've been working on now...I'll give ya one hint...its red...lol :laugh:

Try looking for Graham, or Gates, Or Everett.

So what you're saying is that your dipped your stave in beet juice?