Author Topic: Stave curing questions  (Read 1308 times)

Offline autologus

Stave curing questions
« on: June 05, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »
I got a couple of questions about curing some staves.  I recently cut a hawthorn tree about 2.5 inches in diameter and debarked and sealed the ends, however it split in two places cue the frowny face :'(.  I have found some more as well as some Crepe Myrtle and want to cure it without the checking but was looking for some advice.  How best should I proceed on these two woods to minimize/eliminate the checking?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Stave curing questions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:57 pm »
Either rough them out to near-bow dimensions, or seal the back as well. If you rough them out immediately, sealing the back is optional, but still reccomended. If you leave them as half-rounds with an unsealed back, they're sure to check on you. 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:52:03 am »
NEVER de-bark whole logs and put them to dry! You must leave the bark on when you want to dry whole, round, logs. But I would recommend to reduce to at least half rounds and then you can de-bark them safely. Although hawthorn is tricky to dry without checking anyway.

My preferred method is:
cut tree - remove bark - split to halves/quarters - seal ends - leave to dry partially - reduce to near finished dimensions - put to dry until EMC has been reached
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:21 am »
  If your going to debark you need to seal the whole stave.
  If you leave the bark on just the ends. But you'll need to spray it down with some kind of pestaside. To stop wood boarers. That is if you have them. I use what I can get at lowes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
That is what I was wondering on small diameter staves.  Guess I will leave the bark on and seal the ends, they will be two narrow to split into halves.  Thanks for the feedback.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.