Author Topic: Newbie Ash backed red Elm bow - need a hand with tillering  (Read 9281 times)

Offline dobson

Re: Newbie Ash backed red Elm bow - need a hand with tillering
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »
Do not fear Dark soul for that is exactly what I have done, not managed to get much time on the bow since the weekend but I as you said I have not pulled the bow any further because I'm worried of worsening that hinge, while this isn't my very first bow its my first for a long time, on all of my previous bows there's always a weak spot that's been over-strained and pronounced where I got impatient and frustrated with the tiller that explains why Ive been going as slowly as I can.

So far I scribble pencil across the area that I want to remove then scrape it off with a cabinet scraper try it on the tiller this is much more slow going than what i used to do but so far I haven't managed to ruin anything.

I have done some more work on the bow but it was more focused on getting the right limb bending ill go back to taking more wood off the middle left as well.

Just for future reference if I want to get rid of a hinge can i remove wood before and after a hinge (in this case obviously I need to shave down the middle left but what about the extreme tips?)

For your pleasure here is the last bows I made, I'm not sure if its obvious in the tiller but in the lower right limb there is a weak spot (I know the bottom nock is missing, I pressed the bow into service to test my new tiller)

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »
Other than the right tip being a bit stiff, I can't find a whole lot wrong with your tiller on that bow.

Offline dobson

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 03:44:39 pm »
Okay its been a while but i've finally had a free weekend to continue scraping away really need a hand to see whats going on here! :

Bow is still on a long string (but as tight as possible!) pulling about 35#

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To me It looks like the lower quarter of the left limb needs work and I need to start to get the center bending.

Any advice would be welcome! Should I start to try and get it at a low brace now or do I still need to do some work on the long string?

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:54 am »
It's still looking a bit hingy on the left mid/outer limb. The right looks better.
One tip for you is to draw a vertical line down the center of your tillering board. In line with where your tillering scales hook will sit on the string. If one limb is stiff then the hook will 'creep' over to the side of the strong limb as you pull down on your rope.
Remember that the long string will give you a false impression of how the tips are bending. It makes them look stiffer than they are. If you remove wood near the tips to 'bring them round' a bit then when you brace it they will be bending too much.
I strongly recommend you google 'tillering gizmo' and make one. It will greatly aid you on this bow. The bend on this bow should be mildly elliptical eg. bending fractionally more and more as you move away from the handle.
So your next step is to get it bending evenly at this weight and as soon as possible pull it to 60 pounds. With these bows I get it bending to about 20 inches with long string at full draw weight and then brace it. For you i'd stop with the long string when it's pulling 60 @ 16. Then brace it very low and continue.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 09:54:26 pm »
Uuuhhh... Ash backed elm? That is a contradiction if I ever heard one.

Still need to work that right limb a little more. Maybe a little off the left INNER limb... but don't go too far.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"