Author Topic: Legality of Blue Heron feathers for fletching?  (Read 15535 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Legality of Blue Heron feathers for fletching?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 01:04:55 am »

Peacock wing feathers make great fletching, and tail feathers make great fishing flies!  As for parrots, and macaws, check your local pet stores, for molts, etc.  Stay away from any protected species.  I ...... uh ...... know of someone who used to use road kill heron feathers for Snook lures...... ::)  Check with some of the Texicans on here, and see if they can get you some Sand Hill crane feathers, since they have a season on them down there.   ;)  But I think there are two species of Sand Hill cranes, white or grey ones, and brown ones.  I don't know if both are hunted down there, or just one species.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »
They both taste like steak ::) 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:28:50 pm »
Ah! A welcome reprieve from everything tasting like chicken!  :)
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »
They both taste like steak ::) 8)

Sandhill cranes are called "Flying Rib-eyes" for a reason.  Yummers!

But any migratory bird that can be legally hunted CANNOT be traded in any way, shape, or form.  If you legally killed a common mallard and took a red cent for a feather you have commited a Federal crime.  Even gifting these parts can bring you under scrutiny.  Just don't do it.  There are so many legal turkey feathers and they are more than 'good enough' for the job, heck, they are the best!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AH

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:44 pm »
Thought of using blue and gold macaw tail feathers  blue on one side gold on the other

That would look great!!!!

how about scarlet macaw--one yellow feather, one blue feather, one red feather  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:03 pm »
 I'd like to have enough Macall or Parrot feathers to make an arrow with a Jade point.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:31 pm »
Ya know, there is this exotic wild bird pet store down on the avenue.  I may have to stop in and introduce myself.

Offline billy

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »
Thanks guys for the responses.  I'll not use Blue Heron feathers then.  Found a dead one on the edge of a lake in my neighborhood and was thinking bout collecting the feathers but wanted to make sure it was o.k. first.  They woulda looked pretty on my arrows, but I don't want to get in trouble.  Pity that legal BS lets something as mundane as a feather, which could make pretty arrows, instead go to waste.  But what else can you expect with such an out of touch and corrupt organization like our govt? 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:27 pm »
  But what else can you expect with such an out of touch and corrupt organization like our govt?

There's been other threads on this subject and they explain clearly the reasoning behind it.  It makes sense and I agree with it.  Look up the thread.  Kayaking through wetlands you find a lot of shed heron and egret feathers but it's illegal.  However, I see old guys sometimes with feathers in their hats that are from birds that are not legal.  The majority of people are ignorant to these laws and don't get in any trouble.  Petty laws like this don't apply to seniors I guess. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 11:57:38 pm »
Tim;

Being old, also guarantees, privileges ;D When I was young I could act stupid ::), Middle age I had to pay the fines :'(, When you are old, you can say that's the way I did it growing up and didn't get in trouble. ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:59 pm »
The law was passed because crews with 4 gauge punt guns were blowing away entire flocks of birds to get feathers for ladies' hats back in the day ladies wore hats. The law may go too far, but game wardens can't tell how you got a feather, so they made the law the way it is. I'm not saying that's necessarily right, but they're trying to protect wildlife for the benefit of all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:17 pm »
Of course, some are now thinking we need to have a branch of the government created to regulate and license the collecting of these feathers.  Ya really think we need MORE layers beaurocracy?

As for referring to our government being out of touch and corrupt, I would debate that is not the matter of these feathers.  If there were corruption, there would be a way for you to corrupt the USF&W and get your feathers without threat of prosecution.  Instead, it is strictly fair.  Nobody get's 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:35 am »
Actually, I did a little deep looking and found out there is such an agency and an application form to collect feathers. I will cut and paste it below:

U.S DEPARTMENT OF FEATHERS AND ANIMAL PARTS
FORM 5623/5
APPLICATION FOR POSSESSION OF FEATHERS FROM PROTECTED AVIAN SPECIES

Please answer each question listed below. You must file a separate form for each individual feather, regardless of species. Penalty for perjury is not less than 5 years in prison and/or $10,000 fine.

1.) What species is the feather from?
a.) Waterfowl
b.) Raptor
c.) Upper Lake Winnipesoki Garbage Vulture
d.) UH-60 Blackhawk

2.) What is condition of feather?
a.) Pristine.
b.) Run over by various vehicles a few times.
c.) Came out of McDonald's dumpster (only applicable for seagulls, crows, and ravens.)
d.) Covered in fecal matter.

3.) What do you plan to do with feather?
a.) Fletch arrows (submit FORM 7789/3.6 ARROWS FLETCHED WITH RESTRICTED FEATHERS PERMIT for each individual fletching on each arrow.)
b.) Mardi Gras mask.
c.) Ribald activities (Please describe in detail using FORM 6969/3 CONFIDENTIAL USE OF FEATHERS.)
d.) A spirit told you to keep it.

4.) Where is the feather now?
a.) Glove box in truck.
b.) Cletus' back yard.
c.) Bedroom (see FORM 6969/3, fill out in detail, submit recent photo.)
d.) Hanging from rear view mirror.

5.) What color is the feather?
a.) Red
b.) Blue
c.) Striped green and white
d.) Magenta

Submit form along with $200 application fee to nearest office. Please wait 5 to 6 years for reply.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »
It is illegal of course, but how would Blue Heron feathers fair?  I have snow, lesser canadian and speckled belly feathers from a hunt. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:23 am »
Driving home from town this week I hit a Red Tail Hawk with the Expedition.  I had a choice, wreck the vehicle or go forward.  I almost cried when it struck the grill.  I wanted so much to go get the feathers, but sighed and drove on home.  What a sad waste.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee