Author Topic: Legality of Blue Heron feathers for fletching?  (Read 15532 times)

Offline billy

Legality of Blue Heron feathers for fletching?
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:44 pm »
Was just curious as to the legalities of using great blue heron feathers for fletching.  I googled Herons and the laws concerning them and found that they are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Act and that it is illegal to possess the bird itself or to disturb its eggs or nest.  But I did not find anything on the unlawfulness of possessing their feathers or using them for fletching.  They are not protected under the same restrictions that raptors, eagles, owls and vultures are, at least that I could find.  Any one with any knowledge on this?  Would help greatly!  Thanks!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Legality of Blue Heron feathers for fletching?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:45 pm »
Illegal.  The Fed. Migratory Bird Act covers parts as well as whole.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »
That law applies to geese too, but no one has an issue using them. Is there a hunting season for herons? It might make a difference using feathers gathered from legally hunting.

Patrick

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:15:37 pm »
Illegal.  The Fed. Migratory Bird Act covers parts as well as whole.

Ditto Billy. Not legal at all whether road kill or molted feathers. I use to work for USDA Animal Damage Control and always tussled with US Fish&Wildlife biologists and officers when using propane cannons to deter herons from private fisheries.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:39:49 pm »
The federal law was written to eliminate plume hunting, ie. feather hunters.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:40 pm »
Yes, Migratory Bird Act protects Blue Herons. Most wild birds except for English Sparrows, pigeons, and starlings are protected. Game birds are, of course, allowed. There is also a big difference between crows and ravens. Crows can be hunted in states that allow it. Ravens cannot be.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:50 am »
You can add Eurasian Collared Dove to the list of invasive non-native species that you can possess.

As for heron, not just no but heck no!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:48 am »
I have a pet parrot and have considered using her sheds for fletching, but she never sheds enough to make it possible.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:22 am »
Yeah, but what few arrows you made would be very nice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:15:03 am »
Thought of using blue and gold macaw tail feathers  blue on one side gold on the other

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:08 pm »
Thought of using blue and gold macaw tail feathers  blue on one side gold on the other

That would look great!!!!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »
What about duck feathers? you can find them in craft stores, and you can also find molts quite easily.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline robby

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »
Other than turkey and goose, just about every is illegal. If you can find someone that keeps peacocks, they have kind of a rusty pink feather that looks good with either turkey or grey goose. There are a lot more people around with those birds than you might think. I have a fellow that picks up the sheds for me.
Robby

Offline anasazi

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:29:07 pm »
Pea cock feathers strip real easy to but they would probably still need a little sanding the ones i stripped the other day seemed a bit thick.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:35:24 pm »
Other than turkey and goose, just about every is illegal. If you can find someone that keeps peacocks, they have kind of a rusty pink feather that looks good with either turkey or grey goose. There are a lot more people around with those birds than you might think. I have a fellow that picks up the sheds for me.
Robby
In the US, legally harvested waterfowl feathers can be used. I use all of my duck & geese primaries.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956