Author Topic: its been one year  (Read 16645 times)

Offline adb

Re: its been one year
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 12:38:24 pm »
The apprenticeship for Medieval bowyers was 7 years. I believe a modern Journeyman has the same apprenticeship? Seems about right to me. I didn't feel comfortable with bow making until I'd been doing it on a regular basis for about 4 or 5 years. I didn't really feel like a 'bowyer' until somebody asked me to make them a custom bow. At that point, I felt like what I was doing was good enough that a complete stranger was willing to part with their hard earned money for it. I also felt more like a bowyer after I stopped counting how many bows I'd made.

It's subjective. Anyone can call themselves whatever they'd like... who am I to judge? But, the above criteria is what I feel I need to call myself a bowyer. I think 'bowyer' is maybe like 'welder.' I have a nice Lincoln MIG welder, and I can weld, but I'm not a welder. I have a buddy who is a welder, and he doesn't think I'm a welder either!

Early on in this journey, I was a bow maker. Now I feel like I've earned the title of bowyer. However, to each his own!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:19:32 pm by adb »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »
I can see that as a good set of personal benchmarks.  It's not something I have thought a whole lot about really as I don't do it for title and prestige or occupation.  The welder bit was a good analogy to some extent.  However, it overlooks the fact that there are established guidelines used to determine what level a welder is.  Journeyman and all that.  There are no such guidelines for bowyers or bowyer hopefuls.  I'm certainly not qualified to tell anyone else wether they are or not.  So in the end, I'll just do what I love and leave the question of title to others to worry about.  Josh

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »
Bow making is my occupation. I've been making bows since 2004, but I've only been doing it as my full time occupation for the last 1.5 years. I struggled with 'Bowyer.' At what point do I give myself that title?

There is an organisation in the UK, called The Worshipful Company of Bowyers. For anyone interested, do a google search and check out their criteria for earning the title of 'Bowyer.' I think it's www.bowyers.com

I was apprenticed. I also have an apprentice. Having an apprentice makes me a better bow maker. I give him tasks, challenge him, and gently guide him as best I can. I also provide him with material, and help him gather his own. I also teach complete beginners how to successfully make a bow on their first try, and that also makes me a better bow maker. All this being said, the term 'Bowyer' is only a term I feel I have just recently earned.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:17:26 pm by adb »

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 01:34:09 pm »
I haven't been here for long and I have seen some of the crazy stuff SS has put on here, but I think almost everyone on here has missed the message he posted the big "THANK YOU"  at the end of his post.
I do not deserve the thank you as I have not done or put anything on here to help anyone yet,  however a lot of people have put some very valuable information on here and I would also like to ALSO say Thank You  for the information.  But for such a self proclaimed "nice group" you are fast to jump down a persons throat, and not even take the Thank you for what it is.
Me, I'd still like to hang out here learning all I can, and use the information to make a better bow next time, and maybe share things I have learned.
I hope you all have a great weekend.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Marks

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »
I haven't been here for long and I have seen some of the crazy stuff SS has put on here, but I think almost everyone on here has missed the message he posted the big "THANK YOU"  at the end of his post.
I do not deserve the thank you as I have not done or put anything on here to help anyone yet,  however a lot of people have put some very valuable information on here and I would also like to ALSO say Thank You  for the information.  But for such a self proclaimed "nice group" you are fast to jump down a persons throat, and not even take the Thank you for what it is.
Me, I'd still like to hang out here learning all I can, and use the information to make a better bow next time, and maybe share things I have learned.
I hope you all have a great weekend.

Yeah. pretty major hijack on this one. Hope SS don't mind. As far as some of the comments on here, Momma told me if you can't say nothing nice then keep your fingers off the keyboard  :o ::) :-X ....or something like that.
As far as the current discussion, I can see it both ways. I guess some people put more prestige behind the word than others. I certainly don't sign my checks as "Mark Smith, Boyer" and I'm sure SS doesn't either. I think there are plenty of guys on here like adb that can but I don't see why a young guy like SS can't call himself a bowyer because he makes bows. I work in a courthouse and kids go down the hall to visit the sheriffs dept and come back with plastic badges thinking they are cops. Next time one comes thru I'm gonna chew the little guy out and tell him he ain't no cop. haha  Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of my wedding and we are having our first kid around New Years. Is that long enough for me to be called a husband??

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 02:21:29 pm »
Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of my wedding and we are having our first kid around New Years. Is that long enough for me to be called a husband??

Still just an amateur husband though. Although I'm not sure being a professional husband is legal...  :P

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 02:58:06 pm »
Happy Anniversary Marks and congrats on the new baby . I get my 1st grand kid next month.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline adb

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 04:13:29 pm »
I have a very difficult time keeping my big mouth shut when a young fellow like squirrelslayer makes a post declaring himself a bowyer, after only making one bow that has survived, and doing that with somebody else's help. Thank you or no thank you. This young man continues to leave me scratching my head. Sorry, I have a difficult time letting statements like that slide.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »
I have a very difficult time keeping my big mouth shut when a young fellow like squirrelslayer makes a post declaring himself a bowyer, after only making one bow that has survived, and doing that with somebody else's help. Thank you or no thank you. This young man continues to leave me scratching my head. Sorry, I have a difficult time letting statements like that slide.

If he chooses to be arrogant then so be it, he wont improve his standings with you. Truth be told I used to be similar, I often would say that I am something when I've only just started. So long as he did not intend to be arrogant or conceited then i think it's fine. He's what, 16? would you say you were the amazing person you are now? I'm sure most of us have gone through our weaknesses at one point or another, this may be his. I know I've struggled in the past, only through other people giving me chance after chance and by helping to correct my mistakes was I able to become a reasonable human who isn't the MOST annoying on the face of the planet  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:50:59 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 05:13:50 pm »
Posted from my place of zen:
Squiggle, thank you for sticking around and taking the lumps that come with learning.  I appreciate the progress you've made in listening in the time since I've joined.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Marks

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 05:49:38 pm »
Happy Anniversary Marks and congrats on the new baby . I get my 1st grand kid next month.

Thanks.

I'm out on this convo. I think we are about as far as we are gonna get.  ;)  I wish you all well and good luck SS on your future "bowmaking" ;)

Offline Lemos

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:05 pm »
Ed brooks I think you hit it on the head. The thank you was missed. Unfortunately I think the kid has unitentionaly made himself a target to people who want to lash out. Honestly I can't say I'm to concerned with what anyone wants to call themselves, what they think they are or what they want to be. Live and let live is my motto. I can say I'm disappointed in the way some members choose to respond to a kid and can only hope that they're not truly that rude or crass in day to day life and maybe they were just having a bad communication day. I personally feel that it's the privilege of the elders in society to guide the youth and try to remember that when communicating.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 10:58:35 pm »
 To whom it may concern;

For one week only, for $9.99  I will issue anybody that will participate by sending me a check, a Certified, Bowyers Certificate. Please hurry! This is a one time offer. O:)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 01:04:10 am »
Where can I send the post dated check mullet  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:27:57 pm by Ozzy »
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline adb

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 02:10:38 am »
To whom it may concern;

For one week only, for $9.99  I will issue anybody that will participate by sending me a check, a Certified, Bowyers Certificate. Please hurry! This is a one time offer. O:)

;D ;D ;D