Author Topic: Feeling so alone.  (Read 2862 times)

Offline MartinHeZ

Re: Feeling so alone.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the info and warm welcome.

Keef,
Yeah the nettle cordage was a nice little experiment, didn't go too badly but like Squirrelslinger said, it's like a rope, and I'm not risking using that, plus I don't want to have to make nocks on my arrows that big  :o

Thesquirrelslinger,
Thanks for the advice there, will definitely look around the second hand/charity shops around my area and see what cheap clothing I can pick up, already on the lookout for leathers to use for handles and the likes. As for Jute twine, no idea about that, guessing it's an American thing (or maybe I just live under a rock?) Is there anyway I can test out the strength of a string without putting it on a bow and risking loosing my face/bow? What would be the best way to simulate the stress from drawing? Simply suspending a similar #age weight from it?

Lemos
Thanks, I can already see you're right on the money there.

WillS,
Thanks for the advice on the string, will definitely not be trying anything that I'm not 100% comfortable with then, in terms of the ash stuff, thanks a heap for the information, great help and I'm starting to get in touch with local surgeons and the like to see what I can drum up.

MrHare,
Thanks for the tips on ash aswell, like I said looking into it now, will be joining up on BCUK as well and seeing what I can find there, thanks. I also have a small sort of petting zoo farm, well actually 2, not far from me, both have geese and I'm going to get in touch with them about getting some feathers for free, should do the trick.

crooketarrow,
What I think hatcha means is more the fence posts you can buy in local DYI stores here, which are soft wood and tend to disintegrate rather fast, pretty useless to be honest, but thanks for the input, I have a few farms nearby, going to try and get in touch with them as well anyways.

Parnell,
That's actually on my list, I know a place next to some farmland, in the middle of a recently planted park forest, that has a few little streams running, where I used to collect up flint for skimming on the pond, so that's going to be my next stop, as soon as it stops raining... stupid British weather ruins everything really.

In other news, I think I might of just hit a gold mine, was looking around for local surgeons and the likes, and came across a guy who wanted some trees felling, thought I would contact and see what was going on. After a couple of emails back and forth, he tells me that there are 10 large trees on the land he just bought, he wants them gone, completely, and had a quote from a professional who must of asked for a rather large amount, as he has just posted online for people to come and cut what they want. Asked if he has any idea what type of trees they are and told me that the surgeon quoted him for 6 hardwood and 4 softwood trees, but he has no idea what they actually are, this seems rather promising to me, and I just need to try and find some transport now, as unfortunately I don't drive, nor do I have a large enough vehicle to transport 6 large hardwood trees hehe.

I also just realized, as I came in the house, that about 10ft from my front door. Is an Ash tree. Although I don't have the permission, nor the reckless disregard, to cut from such a young tree, as I'm sure it wouldn't survive it, but still, got to appreciate the irony.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 03:15:31 pm »
I remember when I first got the bug and started this hobby how utterly addicted I became at looking for material everywhere I went.  Things haven't changed much, four and a half years later!  Enjoy the ride, if you've been bitten by the bug, you'll find the way.

Also, on the string front.  If you've got a shoe maker/repair business or basket weaver in your area...look for irish lockstich linen.  Make an endless loop string and you'll be more than happy.  A small spool is inexpensive.

Look for that flint and keep me/us posted on that!  I'd bet people would be pretty excited to see some knapping being done over on your side...you'll find that main link full of very helpful people, as well!  If I can be a help, just send me a PM.

Good luck, buddy.

Stephen Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:49 pm »
Thanks Parnell, yes definitely bitten. I had a quick look around the knapping section here and pretty much ran away when I saw what people were managing to create, and then looking at the methods/techniques, but then spotted my wife drinking from a glass bottle, and changed my mind, its currently drying along with 2 others in the kitchen, will be breaking it up and getting some practice once I get a hold of something to use to knapp.

A little conversation between my wife and I on the way home.
I looked up as we passed a rather large tree over hanging from a cemetery that took my interest, "Wonder what that is..."
my wife retorted with "Martin. It's a tree, can we go home now."

She seems to be loosing her patience with my constant obsession. Poor woman.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 09:27:19 am »
You'll find that there is a bow-a-holics support group, here.  When I travel throughout the states part of my vacation time is usually spent "gathering materials".  Most of the community is the same way.  Arrowshafting in particular - bamboo, cane, hardwood shoots, etc.  After awhile, Angie just figured I could be doing much worse with my time!

I wonder if you could grow Japanese Arrow Bamboo in your garden?  I bet you could...
1’—>1’

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:18 am »
Would if I could parnel but I don't have a garden, I live in a flat so space and outdoors are an issue for me, but enginuity is in my nature so its all good, Tegan (wife) is rather accepting, just has her limits like every woman lol

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:12 am »
Gotcha.  I'll be watching for your progress. ;)
1’—>1’