Author Topic: Grain help?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline hurlbri1

Grain help?
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:54:02 am »
So I ordered a bunch of Birch dowels for my first foray into arrow making...I know grain is important simply due to my growing collection of exploding bows, but how do I know what is "good grain" for an arrow?  Does anyone have pics of good arrow grain so I can start separating my pile o dowels?

Thanks!

-Brian
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline lostarrow

Re: Grain help?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
Just like bows. Straight grain lines that run the length.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »
Exactly what lostarrow states. ;)  Today I cut a few arrow shafts.  Some Poplar and some D-fir. After getting them cut I examine them on the bench by flipping them around. I noticed that 4 were basically duds, one side has perfect tight grain the other side is extremely course. All sides should be just like the photo (tight Grain).... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »
not to confuse matters but I've made some really good hand-planed poplar arrows with what you're calling
coarse grain.
for that matter I had some coarse grained pine arrows that shot really well for me.

The difficulty lies in finding arrow wood with straight enough grain, such that there is less worry of breakage
along the grain.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:05:58 pm »
I know, but not all wood species are created equal, I was just using D-Fir as an example, like I said the batch I ran off today 4 were of unequal grain structure the others were nearly perfect having tight all around the shaft.
As far as poplar goes, I don't think you'll find really tight grain with that wood, as it grows so fast unlike D-fir. ;)
Having said that, having straight parellel grain along the whole lenght is what we are looking for.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline hurlbri1

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice and thanks for the pics...looks like I got many more scrap arrows than working arrows in my box o dowels...back to sorting for me...thanks again!
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »
  I use to buy dowls by the 100 and have bought and shot away 1000's before I started makeing shoot arrows. You don't have to be rockie scientist to make arrows
   Corse ,fine gain dos'nt mean much. If your really trying to get a matched set of arrows weight,spine. Then you might seperate and keep course with course. Fine with fine. This keeps spine and weight closer.
  But not to many of us shoot so well it matter. Exspecially out of a slow selfbow keeping it under 20. Face it were not shooting 300 FPS compounds where 2 gains matter.

As long as the gains straight (one end to the other) to where there's no run offs. Meaning the gain needs to go the whole lenth of the shaft. If YOUR SHAFT HAS GAIN RUN OFFS It can break splinter and go through your arm.
  Alot of people put the stiff side of the shaft towards the bow. Doing thats just a safty precausion. and keeps the spine a little closer.I qiut doing that when I went from long bows and recurves and started makeing and shoots SLOWWWWWWWWWW SELFBOWS. If your shooting say 70+ pounds you might want to do this. But even then I've never did it with selfbow arrows. And I shoot 100#self and war bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »
To be honest, I don't pay too much attention to grain with my arrows. Straightness on the other hand I am picky about, but you can always correct that with heat.

My favorite is ash, it is quite strong and flexible, and takes a beating. I abuse my arrows pretty good, and they just seem to keep right on a trucking.