Author Topic: Some of my Hunting Gear - Pic Heavy  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Jacko

Some of my Hunting Gear - Pic Heavy
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »
Morning Folks, names Jacko and I  hail from Queensland Australia. I have been making and shooting pre 1900 Archery Tackle since the early 90's. I have been away from Primitive Archery Forum for a while. I let my subscription lapse to this Mag and the others I bought to help make ends meet a few years ago and sorta drifted away from the Forum.

I have recently been coaching a young Fella in the Art of making Selfbows, Arrows etc and it has sparked my enthusiasm again so I started poking around the Forum a week or so ago. I have not made any Bows for years simply because a properly made Selfbow is so drag through the Scrub durable. I last made a Bow 3 or 4 years ago. My 3 Favourite Bows where made in 1996, 1998 and 1999 and all 3 are still going strong. I've been flashing these Bows about for years so I'm sure some of you will recognise them

These 2 Bows are made from Brigalow, an Aussie Hardwood. The longer Bow is 42# 76" ntn. Its really a target Bow but spits an Arrow more than Hard enough to Hunt with if I so desired. The Flatbow is my all time Favourite and has Hunted well for many years 54# 63" ntn . The Backing is a Snake Skin Cotton Print we Aussies call Flannelette. All Native Snakes are protected and huge fines apply, we leave em alone also because 9 of the top Ten Worlds deadliest Snakes are Australian  8)

My Bow of the Moment does not quite qualify as 100%  Primitive, its a 45# Grozer Magyar Bio Composite Horn Belly, Sinew Backed but an undisclosed Modern Glue instead of Hide Glue is used in it's construction. Amazing Bow, the Cast is incredible and has to be seen to be appreciated

My creative side has been nourished since I layed off the Selfbows with Leathercraft, here's a Kangaroo Rawhide Sheath and an EBay Viking Era Knife, takes a good edge and is great to carry being so light. It is lined with split Cowhide and I used a Mexican Braid Stitch to fancy up the Sheath.

This is my favourite Hunting Knife. I salvaged it from a rubbish Bin when I was doing some work in an meat Works. A worked had dropped it in a Mincer,and badly chipped the Blade. I had to reprofile it quite markedly, ground a stick Tang etc. I hafted it in the traditional manor where you soak the Antler for several weeks and then push the Tang through the softened Antler core. Crikey !! Don't it stink after a few Days - the Wife was not happy  ;D , When the Antler dries all the smell dissipates and the Tang is held firm. I Carved the Antler Handle. I have since restitched the Sheath with Rawhide Lace, the Artifial Sinew was useless.

A Homemade Knife, I used a broken Power Saw Blade. The Scales are another Aussie Hardwood - Beefwood. When cut the Grain and Colour look like a Beef Steak. Fitting for a Knife. This is a really excellent Skinning Knife. The Crossdraw Sheath is Kangaroo Rawhide and again I used a Mexican Braid Stitch on the Edge. Difference is I twisted up several lengths of Rawhide to make some Cordage and I thought it would look cool used to Lace this Sheath.

Enough Pics for now Folks, really happy to be back and I must say I am really impressed with what I have seen on the Forum

regards Jacko
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:57:12 pm by Jacko »
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Offline steven.nance

Re: Some of my Hunting Gear - Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
Good stuff, Jacko. Did you build the composite?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:03 am »
Looks like you are set up very nice,cool stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
Cool stuff Jacko! I like the antler knife handle idea, want to give that a try sometime.  Great work Mate, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »
Really nice Gear. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:25:37 pm »
That's some fine gear for sure. I have a certain appreciation for home brew gear, especially when it makes meat as yours has. Well done!

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:48:50 am »
Very, very nice work. Welcome!